[comp.terminals] Help w/ WY-60 terminal, please

bdewbank@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Bryan Ewbank) (12/12/87)

Hi -
I am the proud owner of a WYSE wy60 terminal, and am using the terminfo
entry posted here recently.  I am now having a problem with my terminal
when it is connected to certain systems...it is using the alternate
character set!

Specifically, with the terminal personality (setup window #2) defined as
WY-60, I can't read anything.  The login: prompt appears as garbage [yes,
the baud rate is correct].  Now, without breaking the connection to the
computer, I change the personality to WY-50+... bingo! everything is again
readable.

One other thing: This is one of the newer WY60 terminals that can simulate
a VT52 and a VT100.  My older WY60 worked just fine.

Any help will be welcome...please!

Bryan Ewbank			UUCP: ..{ihnp4,moss,cbosgd}!ihlpg!bdewbank
AT&T Bell Labs			VOICE: 312/979-5146
Naperville, IL			ZIP: 60566

--

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (12/13/87)

In article <4467@ihlpg.ATT.COM> bdewbank@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Bryan Ewbank) writes:
>I am the proud owner of a WYSE wy60 terminal [...]
>Specifically, with the terminal personality (setup window #2) defined as
>WY-60, I can't read anything.  The login: prompt appears as garbage [yes,
>the baud rate is correct].  Now, without breaking the connection to the
>computer, I change the personality to WY-50+... bingo! everything is again
>readable.

It looks like a parity bug.  Many Wyse terminals have problems when
the parity bit isn't 0. I have had problems with both the wyse-85 and
wyse-99 in this respect. Wyse has a menu item that give you a choice
of no-parity/odd/even/mark/space parity. As far as I could tell, this
menu item didn't do anything for *recieved* parity in some emulation
modes.  We were unable to get these terminals working with BSD
systems.

The wyse-75, on the other hand, does a reasonable job as a vt-100
clone.

Wolfgang Rupprecht 	ARPA: wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP addr 18.82.0.114)
Independent Consultant	UUCP: {mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu,mirror!mit-mgm}!wolfgang
			VOICE: Hey_Wolfgang!_(617)_267-4365