[comp.terminals] Goofy DEC terminal to eia232 question.

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (01/10/88)

...A friend of mine (not on the net) wants to hook up a DEC VT50 terminal
to his CoCo-III (he's running OS9 w/30 meg HD).  We opened up the box,
this kind of console television washing machine thing, and instead of
a semi-standard serial port, we find current loop terminals.
We're not old enough to know how these ancient and arcane things
work. :-) We do know, however, that they use current levels instead of
voltage levels. At least that's the current fantasy, and since we can't
test it...

Anybody have any suggestions, or have a wiring scheme they could
provide?
--
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
'Girls play with toys. Real women skate.' --Powell Peralta ad.| 'Hey, watch

eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) (01/11/88)

In article <163@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
>this kind of console television washing machine thing, and instead of
>a semi-standard serial port, we find current loop terminals.
Well, current loop used to *be* the standard! Well, at least it wasn't
considered "Goofy"! Maybe the vt50 is a bit old, o.k. but don't knock
the old stuff... CL is still used a lot even now... Anyway, you can get
a converter for rs232 <--> CL from someplace like black box or one of
those kinds of dealers. It's actually pretty simple to convert it
yourself. I had to make a converter once myself to connect a vt52 to an
rs232 port, but I've forgotten how I did it... Mail me if you want and I
can try to dig up some clues...

						Eric Volpe
					...decvax!yale!spock!eric
					...attmail!hamdenns!3bee2!volpe

billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) (01/11/88)

In article <163@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
>...A friend of mine (not on the net) wants to hook up a DEC VT50 terminal
>to his CoCo-III (he's running OS9 w/30 meg HD).  We opened up the box,
>this kind of console television washing machine thing, and instead of
>a semi-standard serial port, we find current loop terminals.
>We're not old enough to know how these ancient and arcane things
>work. :-) We do know, however, that they use current levels instead of
>voltage levels. At least that's the current fantasy, and since we can't
>test it...
>
>Anybody have any suggestions, or have a wiring scheme they could
>provide?
>--
>J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
>'Girls play with toys. Real women skate.' --Powell Peralta ad.| 'Hey, watch
>I disclaim all responsibility for others' ignorances. | me ollie this <whump>'

A device for converting from Current Loop to RS-232 is available from:
	Black Box
	P.O. Box 12800
	Pittsburgh, PA 15241
	(412) 746-5530

In their Winter '88 catalog, the device on p112 lists for $95.

disclaimer:  I am not related to Black Box in any way.  This is not meant
to be an endorsement of any of their products.  I am not a satisfied or
unsatisfied customer since I have never purchased anything from them :-) .

Hope this helps,
Bill