[comp.terminals] Best Terminal

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (12/11/86)

For best terminal-with-tech'y-of-the-time, I'll second
the ADM-3(a), but for hardcopy the GE TermiNet was way out
ahead.  300 or even true 1200 Baud, lower case and all the
U**X/C chars, internal horiz & vert tabs, etc.

Unforch, it weighed a ton, the keyboard magnetic ferrites
often broke (usually the RETURN key and Ctrl-C), and the
print-character chain often caught in the edge of the paper
and tore, after which you had some characters that didn't print
as well.  You could use any size paper up to 120 columns.

Years later, the Teletype Model 40 copied the concepts.

Right now I'm using an HP-2645A, which while physically
and feature-wise terribly overdesigned, is a grand old tube.
--
Mike J Knudsen    ...ihnp4!ihwpt!knudsen
Bell Labs (AT&T)   (312)-979-4132 (work)

dibble@cs.rochester.edu (Peter C. Dibble) (02/14/88)

I'm looking for a terminal that supports multiple hosts and will display at
least 50 lines so I can display 2 24-line windows, one from each host.

A screen bigger than 14 inches would be nice, so would enough graphics
so I could run a dvi previewer.

So far my best option looks like a GraphOn 235.  It does everything I
want, but it only has a 14" inch screen and it supports much more
powerful graphics than I need.  On the other hand they claim to
be _very_ fast and they support X windows.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Peter Dibble

det@hawkmoon.UUCP (Derek E. Terveer) (02/15/88)

In article <6789@sol.ARPA>, dibble@cs.rochester.edu (Peter C. Dibble) writes:
> I'm looking for a terminal that supports multiple hosts and will display at
> least 50 lines so I can display 2 24-line windows, one from each host.
> [..]
> So far my best option looks like a GraphOn 235.  It does everything I
> want, but it only has a 14" inch screen and it supports much more
> [..]
> I'd appreciate any suggestions.
> Peter Dibble

Ok, here's one:  You could try looking into one of the ann arbor alpha/graphics
terminals - like the XLG or XGL or XG series or something like that.  I use a
plain 'ol Guru XL text terminal (with line-drawing set too) for $2400, and i
have been pretty pleased with it.  I don't know for sure if they have what you
want for under 3000, but its quite possible.  There quality seems to be pretty
high.

	Ann Arbor Terminals
	6175 Jackson Road
	Ann Arbor, MI 48103
	(313)663-8000

	beth@aat.COM		(this *used* to work, but i haven't been able
				 to get through for a while now)

hope this helps,
derek
--
Derek Terveer	det@hawkmoon.UUCP	..!clyde!lily!hawkmoon!det

eao@anumb.UUCP (e.a.olson) (02/17/88)

In article <6789@sol.ARPA> dibble@cs.rochester.edu (Peter C. Dibble) writes:
>I'm looking for a terminal that supports multiple hosts and will display at
>least 50 lines so I can display 2 24-line windows, one from each host.

try an AT&T information systems 630, priced about $2200.
this has 2 host ports, a 17(?19)" screen, and under unix sV can run LAYERS,
giving you 7 virtual terminals on EACH host.
it also does graphics, with a (2^10)^2 pixel resolution.

andy hay		+-----------------------------------------------+
AT&T-BL Ward Hill MA	|	Don't try to out-wierd ME, three-eyes!	|
ihnp4!mvuxq!adh		+-----------------------------------------------+

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (02/20/88)

The HDS ImageLeader 3200 will do 50 lines by either 80 or 132.  It comes
with two RS-232 ports standard (3rd port is extra-cost).  Plenty of
neat graphics (1056x800 on a 15" monitor) and a cost of $800 (that's
with the educational discount).

         Paul Pomes

UUCP:     {ihnp4,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul
Internet, BITNET, CSNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801

ane@hal.UUCP (Aydin "Bif" Edguer) (02/20/88)

In article <6789@sol.ARPA> dibble@cs.rochester.edu (Peter C. Dibble) writes:
>I'm looking for a terminal that supports multiple hosts and will display at
>least 50 lines so I can display 2 24-line windows, one from each host.
>

>A screen bigger than 14 inches would be nice, so would enough graphics
>so I could run a dvi previewer.

This is actually a loose description.  Too many terminals fit into this
classification.  Here is just a small sample of such terminals.  You might
want to get more specific.

Visual Technology Incorporated
Visual 603
	display:	14"	10"x7.5"
	emulates:	vt220	4010/4014
	refresh:	70 Hz	1056x400
	ascii:		25x80/132, 50x132
	ports:		2
	baud:		38.4K
	special:	Calendar, Calculator, Alarm Clock
	other:		mouse support
Visual 630
	display:	14"	10"x7.5"
	emulates:	vt220	4010/4014
	refresh:	70 Hz	1056x400	35 Hz	1056x800
	ascii:		25x80/132, 50x132
	ports:		2
	baud:		38.4K
	special:	Calendar, Calculator, Alarm Clock
	other:		mouse support
Northwest Digital Systems
GP-220
	display:	14"	9"x6.75"
	emulates:	vt220	4010/4014
	refresh:	30 Hz	1024x780	60 Hz	1024x390
	ascii:		24/50/66x80/132
	ports:		2
	baud:		38.4K
	special:	4 level gray scale
	other:		mouse support
Eastmark Inc.
GTR01
	display:	15"
	emulates:	vt100	4010/4014
	refresh:	40 Hz	1024x768
	ascii:		64x85
	ports:		3
	baud:		19.2K, 19.2K, 1M
	other:		mouse support
Human Designed Systems, Inc.
HDS3200 Model 20
	display:	15"	11"x8.5"
	emulates:	vt220	4010/4014
	refresh:		1056x800
	ascii:		25/50x80/132
	ports:		3
	baud:		38.4K
	other:		mouse support
HDS3200 Model 30
	display:	15"	11"x8.5"
	emulates:	vt220	4010/4014
	refresh:		1056x800
	ascii:		25/50x80/132
	ports:		3
	baud:		38.4K
	other:		mouse support, pan/zoom
GraphOn Corporation
GO-235
	display:	14"	9.63"x7.25"
	emulates:	vt220	4010/4014
	refresh:	60 Hz	1024x780
	ascii:		24/25/26/48/50/52x80/132
	ports:		3
	baud:		57.6K
	other:		mouse support
GO-250
	display:	14"	9.63"x7.25"
	emulates:	vt220	4010/4014
	refresh:	60 Hz	1024x780
	ascii:		24/25/26/48/50/52x80/132
	ports:		3
	baud:		57.6K
	other:		mouse support, pan/zoom, raster operations
Falco Data Products
Falco 5000
	display:	14"	9.5"x7.5"
	emulates:	vt220	4010/4014