[comp.terminals] GO-235 and 5220e

ane@hal.UUCP (Aydin "Bif" Edguer) (02/20/88)

In article <6789@sol.ARPA> dibble@cs.rochester.edu (Peter C. Dibble) writes:
>So far my best option looks like a GraphOn 235.  It does everything I
>want, but it only has a 14" inch screen and it supports much more
>powerful graphics than I need.  On the other hand they claim to
>be _very_ fast and they support X windows.

Here in the lab we have a couple of GO-235's and Falco 5220e's.
So here's a quick product review.

GO-235
	Good Points -	Very smooth mouse, Excellent Documentation,
			Public Domain X window driver, up to 57.6K interface.
	Debatable -	On/Off switch in back.
	Bad Points -	Screen saver only DIMS the display.
			Volume control for bell inaccessible without
			opening the keyboard. (POOR DESIGN DECISION)
			Mouse Uses DB-25 Connector - leaving the
			DB-9 third port for the second host line.
			The X window driver is for X10.4 and is unsupported
			by Graphon.  (it also did not work as is).
	Other info -	Up to 4 windows.
			Can run at up to 9600 baud without flow control.
			Faster speeds need ^s/^q to avoid buffer overflow.
5220e
	Good Points -	Screen saver has a variable timer, calendar displays
			3 months.  On/Off switch in front.  Calculator
			remembers values between uses.  Bell volume software
			selectable.
	Bad points -	You cannot mix the number of lines per inch between
			windows (i.e. you cannot have one window at 50 and
			one at 25).
			Lousy, almost non-existent documentation.
	Other info - 	up to 6 windows.  (fewer if you want graphics)
			Can run at up to 19.2K baud without flow control.
			(have not tested it at 38.4)

Both terminals allow you to set the baud rate and protocol (DTR or ^S/^Q)
for each port separately.  Both have non-volatile memory to remember your
setups.  Both allow you to reprogram keys.  Both allow you to disable the
shift lock key or specify it as a shift lock or a caps lock.  Screen brightness
is software selectable on both terminals.  Another nice feature is that
the hold screen is instantaneous... no more watching things scroll by as
you furiously try typing ^S's.