[comp.terminals] Color CURSES?

Jeffrey_J_Vanepps@cup.portal.com (03/29/88)

[]

Does anyone have any pointers to a version of curses/termcap (or terminfo)
that will support different colors and different video modes? What I'm
looking for is something that will allow me to say "this word in green,
this one in red, this one highlighted, this one blinking, etc." all on
the same screen.

ANY help appreciated, but the actual software I need needs to be portable
(i.e. NO hardcoded escape sequences!).

advTHANXance

sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Jeffrey_J_Vanepps

jgy@hropus.UUCP (John Young) (03/30/88)

> Does anyone have any pointers to a version of curses/termcap (or terminfo)
> that will support different colors and different video modes? What I'm
> looking for is something that will allow me to say "this word in green,
> this one in red, this one highlighted, this one blinking, etc." all on
> the same screen.
>
> ANY help appreciated, but the actual software I need needs to be portable
> (i.e. NO hardcoded escape sequences!).
>
> advTHANXance
>
> sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Jeffrey_J_Vanepps

The curses/terminfo package shipped with UNIX SVR3.1 on the AT&T 6386WGS
supports setting of colors (attrset etc....) and also definition
of a colors' r,g,b values if this is supported in the hardware.

In article <4186@cup.portal.com> Jeffrey_J_Vanepps@cup.portal.com writes:
>Does anyone have any pointers to a version of curses/termcap (or terminfo)
>that will support different colors and different video modes? What I'm
>looking for is something that will allow me to say "this word in green,
>this one in red, this one highlighted, this one blinking, etc." all on
>the same screen.

Curses is dependent on terminal attributes described in the termcap
or terminfo data base, and as of 4.3BSD and SVR3.0, neither provides
a (standard) way to specify colors.  Both provide for describing
modes such as reverse-video, bold, blink, underscore, dim, invisible,
and protected.  See the appropriate manual entry.

It sounds like you really need a forms interface, not curses.

Jeffrey_J_Vanepps@cup.portal.com (04/04/88)

>> Does anyone have any pointers to a version of curses/termcap (or terminfo)
>> that will support different colors and different video modes?

> The curses/terminfo package shipped with UNIX SVR3.1 on the AT&T 6386WGS
> supports setting of colors (attrset etc....) and also definition
> of a colors' r,g,b values if this is supported in the hardware.

Sounds good, but is source to the curses library available so that I
can use it on different machines?

twh@mibte.UUCP (Tim Hitchcock) (04/06/88)

In article <7587@brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP writes:
> In article <4186@cup.portal.com> Jeffrey_J_Vanepps@cup.portal.com writes:
> >Does anyone have any pointers to a version of curses/termcap (or terminfo)
> >that will support different colors and different video modes? What I'm
> >looking for is something that will allow me to say "this word in green,
> >this one in red, this one highlighted, this one blinking, etc." all on
> >the same screen.
>
> Curses is dependent on terminal attributes described in the termcap
> or terminfo data base, and as of 4.3BSD and SVR3.0, neither provides
> a (standard) way to specify colors.  Both provide for describing
> modes such as reverse-video, bold, blink, underscore, dim, invisible,
> and protected.  See the appropriate manual entry.
>
> It sounds like you really need a forms interface, not curses.

COLOR CURSES is supported in SVR3.2 terminfo. There will be a version
for SVR3.1 too.  ANSI has a standard for COLOR ANSI terminals.

example of terminfo shell level use (COLOR/NUMBER definitions may not be exact):

	tput setf 1   # set foreground color to red
	tput setb 2   # set background color to blue
	tput setb 5   # set background color to yellow

Note that COLORs are represented by numbers, not names.

In article <2565@mibte.UUCP> twh@mibte.UUCP (Tim Hitchcock) writes:
>COLOR CURSES is supported in SVR3.2 terminfo. There will be a version
>for SVR3.1 too.  ANSI has a standard for COLOR ANSI terminals.

Great -- somebody please send me the latest TERMINFO spec so I can
update the corresponding TERMCAP spec.  Thanks!