[comp.terminals] digital vt220 question

myron@nvuxl.UUCP (Myron Seto) (04/12/88)

I have a digital VT220 terminal in order to
access Unix.  The funny thing about this
terminal is that the delete key is not acting
like a delete key.  When I use it, it acts like
a Break and Return key instead.  It doesn't
simply erase the preceding letter and backspaces.
Instead, it exits out of the whole command or
whatever and gives me a new prompt.
I have tried a number of things (playing with
the "Set-Up", trying to change my stty erase
(this won't work cause with the command
stty echoe erase 'delete key', I simply exit
this command and it is never communicated.),
calling the people at digital who had me waiting
on the phone too long, etc.  If there is anyone
out there with this type of terminal (very similar
to the digital vt100) and can use their delete
key while in Unix, please please please send
me some hints.......Thanks (just in case.)
--
                  Myron Seto                     (201)758-2941
                  {clyde,rutgers,ulysses}!bellcore!nvuxl!myron

In article <588@nvuxl.UUCP> myron@nvuxl.UUCP (Myron Seto) writes:
>access Unix.  The funny thing about this
>terminal is that the delete key is not acting
>like a delete key.  When I use it, it acts like
>a Break and Return key instead.  It doesn't
>simply erase the preceding letter and backspaces.
>Instead, it exits out of the whole command or
>whatever and gives me a new prompt.

That's the standard UNIX behavior.  Berkeley variants often
change the interrupt-generating character to ^C, apparently
inspired by DEC operating systems.  You can make this any
character you want via "stty".

>I have tried a number of things (playing with
>the "Set-Up", trying to change my stty erase
>(this won't work cause with the command
>stty echoe erase 'delete key', I simply exit
>this command and it is never communicated.),

You need to change both the erase character (which is
probably initially set to # or backspace) AND the intr
character, via "stty".  Most people set these things up
in their .profile (shell start-up command file).  To
avoid having these characters act with their special
meaning, escape them or better yet use the "caret
notation" for them, e.g.
	stty intr '^c' erase '^?'

Alternatively, learn to use backspace as an erase
character.

Howeird@cup.portal.com (04/13/88)

The delete key in UNIX is used to abort what you are doing. there
is nothing wrong with your terminal. Do not adjust your set. We
have total control of your screen for the  next hour [twilight zone/
outer limits music here].

You want to use the Backspace key.

nate@mipos3.intel.com (Nate Hess) (04/19/88)

One solution to your problem is to type:

stty dec

--woodstock
--
	   "How did you get your mind to tilt like your hat?"

...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|pur-ee|qantel|amd}!intelca!mipos3!nate
<domainish> :   nate@mipos3.intel.com		ATT :    (408) 765-4309

In article <4464@cup.portal.com>, Howeird@cup.portal.com writes:
> The delete key in UNIX is used to abort what you are doing.  there is
> nothing wrong with your terminal.

> You want to use the Backspace key.

He probably doesn't want to use the backspace key.  Look at a vt220
sometime.  Try to find the backspace key.  Try a little harder.  Now,
what was that he wanted to use?  (For that matter, try to find ESC.  Or
LINEFEED.  Or (!) < or >.  I don't know what in the name of poslfit
possessed DEC to produce such a bizzare keyboard layout....)

More likely what he wants is to set his erase character to delete and
his interrupt to something else, like ^C.  (He's probably got erase #
and kill @, if he's got intr ^?...sigh.)

To the original poster, whose attribution seems to have been lost in
the shuffle:  Try saying

% stty new crt dec

and see if things don't behave a bit more sanely for you.  Since you've
got a vt220, I assume you're used to DEC operating systems, like VMS or
RSX, in which case the above is appropriate.

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu