[comp.terminals] Those beautiful new Zenith flat screens vs. multiscanning monitors

jerryp@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Jerry Peek) (06/06/88)

The Zenith ZCM-1490's are incredible-looking monitors... perfectly flat,
almost no glare, brilliant colors and very sharp.  But they aren't
multi-scanning; they're plain analog monitors.  Some people tell me to avoid
analog monitors because they aren't as flexible as multiscanning ones.

I'm buying a '386 PC clone (with an AT-compatible bus), and I know that I
want to put a VGA card in it.  Here's my question:  Can I find a VGA card
that'll give me good compatibility -- past and future -- and still let me
get the Zenith monitor?  Or should I go for a multiscan instead?

Thanks a lot, in advance...

--Jerry Peek, Northeast Parallel Architectures Center, Syracuse, NY 13244-1260
  jerryp@cmx.npac.syr.edu
  +1 315 423-4120

In article <521@cmx.npac.syr.edu> jerryp@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Jerry Peek) writes:
>The Zenith ZCM-1490's are incredible-looking monitors... perfectly flat,
>almost no glare, brilliant colors and very sharp. ...
>Can I find a VGA card that'll give me good compatibility -- past and
>future -- and still let me get the Zenith monitor?

Yes.  All VGA cards have two connectors -- nine pin D and fifteen pin
D.  The nine pin D connector is for RGB/EGA/Multisync monitors.  The
fifteen pin D connector is for VGA monitors like the ZCM-1490.

--
signed char *reply-to-russ(int network) {	/* Why can't BITNET go	*/
if(network == BITNET) return "NELSON@CLUTX";	/* domainish?		*/

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (06/08/88)

I've just heard an interesting little tidbit about those Zenith FTM monitors...
it seems that after a while (don't know how long) the mask gets out of
alignment and the result is a rainbow or halo around characters, shapes, etc.

They sure look nice in the store window, but as it always is with new
technologies, the early buyer often ends up being the guinea-pig as the
manufacturers try to get the glitches out of their new toys.

Multiscanning technology has been around for a few years now, and we're
starting to see second-generation multiscanning tubes (NEC for one).  I
feel more secure with the multiscan monitors at this time.

Steve
stevewa@upvax.UUCP
!tektronix!upvax!stevewa

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (06/10/88)

In article <440@upvax.UUCP> stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:
>Multiscanning technology has been around for a few years now, and we're
>starting to see second-generation multiscanning tubes (NEC for one).

Multiscan has nothing to do with the CRT tube - it could be implemented
with any CRT.  It's just the electronics that drive the tube that change.
Thus, this is a dumb reason to condemn the Zenith FTM monitor.  If they
chose, Zenith could release a multiscan FTM...

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate