[comp.terminals] Vt220 Compose Key

marcus@athena.mit.edu (mark anthony roman) (06/11/88)

Whilst enjoying the "Compose Character" key on my DEC vsII, I
began to wonder if there was some way to get that shifted Meta
functionality on my vt220 at home.

The key is there -- you can't fool me.  Does anyone have a termcap or
programming method for the vt220 that turns that useless Compose key
into a shifted Meta key?  I hate typing "ESC - <char>" in emacs when
instead I could just hold down that compose key & type the character,
i.e. "M-<char>".

Please post any ideas, methods, etc.

			fondly remembering Symbolics machines,
				mark roman

Marcus Antonius Romanus          Have two (2) decks for dubbing !!
1 Amherst St. E40-300              Help me build a collection!
Cambridge, MA  02139

jee@teddy.UUCP (John E Elsbree) (06/13/88)

In article <5730@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> marcus@athena.mit.edu (mark anthony roman) writes:

>Whilst enjoying the "Compose Character" key on my DEC vsII, I
>began to wonder if there was some way to get that shifted Meta
>functionality on my vt220 at home.
>
>The key is there -- you can't fool me.  Does anyone have a termcap or
>programming method for the vt220 that turns that useless Compose key
>into a shifted Meta key?

Nope, sorry, it can't be done.  The VT220's firmware dictates that the
<Compose> key serves only one purpose:  to initiate "compose sequences"
for generating characters that are unavailable on the keyboard.  For
example, the sequence <Compose> n ~ produces the character "n with
tilde".

There is no way to hack something in software to change this behaviour
in the VT220.

							- John
--
John E Elsbree                  /|\       GenRad, Inc.
...!mit-eddie!genrad!jee       /_ _\      300 Baker Avenue