[comp.terminals] Who makes these terminals?

anne@hall.cray.com (Anne Chenette) (07/06/88)

I need to know the manufacturers of some terminals for copyright-type
reasons.  What I have is a list of terminal names or "nicknames":

        Ampex 230
        Beehive Superbee
        Concept-100
        Hazeltine (terminal)
        Heathkit h19
        Lear-Siegler (LSI?) ADM-3a
        Microterm ACT-IV
        Microterm Mime
        NCR 7900
        Perkin Elmer Owl
        Tektronix 4010 and 4025
        Teleray 1061
        Televideo (TVI) 912
        Wyse 50, 75, and 350

What I need is:

        (1) the real name of each terminal,
        (2) the name of the company that manufactures it, and
        (3) the city the company is in, if the company still exists
            (the company's phone number would be even better)

Can anyone help me out?  If so, please send mail (no need to clutter the net
with this silliness....).
				Thanks,
				  Anne Chenette
				  ...!sun!tundra!hall!anne
				    or
				  anne%prolix.cray.com@uc.msc.umn.edu

P.S.  In case you're dying of curiosity, these terminals are all
      mentioned on the terminfo(4) man page (or associated documentation).
--
					Anne Chenette
					...!ihnp4!cray!anne
					  or
					anne%prolix.cray.com@uc.msc.umn.edu

jamesp@dadla.LA.TEK.COM (James T. Perkins) (07/11/88)

Sorry to post this to thousands of computers across the world, but I couldn't
reach Anne by direct mail.

(Message inbox:18)
Date:     Fri, 8 Jul 88 19:31:00 EDT
From: RELAY Mail System (MMDF) <mmdf@RELAY.CS.NET>
Sender: mmdf@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject:  Failed mail  (msg.aa18285)
To: jamesp@dadla.LA.TEK.com
--------

    Your message could not be delivered to
'anne@cray.com (host: relay1.cs.net) (queue: other-hosts)' for the following
reason:  ' (BHST) Unknown host/domain name in "anne@cray.com"'

    Your message follows:

To: anne@cray.com (Anne Chenette)
Subject: Re: Who makes these terminals?
Date: 08 Jul 88 16:16:28 PDT (Fri)
From: James T. Perkins <jamesp@dadla.LA.TEK.COM>

>         Ampex 230
	Ampex makes casette tapes.  They make terminals too?
>         Beehive Superbee
>         Concept-100
	Ancient terminal.
>         Hazeltine (terminal)
	Hazeltine used to make terminals, then they stopped.  Esprit Systems
	(somewhere in New York) was created by disgruntled employees that
	still wanted to build terminals.
>         Heathkit h19
	Heathkit provided these homebuilt terminals.
>         Lear-Siegler (LSI?) ADM-3a
	No, Lear-Siegler, the furnace manufacturer.
>         Microterm ACT-IV
>         Microterm Mime
>         NCR 7900
	National Cash Register Corp.
>         Perkin Elmer Owl

>         Tektronix 4010 and 4025

	This one I know! Tektronix, Inc., Beaverton, OR.  I don't know who
	you'd call, exactly (this is a sizeable company).  I called around for
	about ten minutes to get you this information: you might try
	locating your local Tektronix Field Office and ask them (look in your
	closest metropolitan area phonebook), or call the nationwide Tek
	toll-free number 1-800-835-9433 and the Secretary should be able to
	help you.  Also, 1-503-235-7202 (toll call) will get you the Media
	Services people (ask for Jan Foster), and you should be able to get
	documentation on the terminals of some sort.

	Tek 4010s are old graphics terminals that lead the way for direct
	storage vector graphics.  The Tek 4025 was Tek's first (very) succesful
	raster graphics terminal.  We still have quite a few of them in our
	labs (4010s, we have naught). The 4025s speak a very strange language
	and have no cursor-motion commands, so they are not terminals of
	choice around here.  But they're still popular for graphics and
	especially for storing pages and pages and pages and pages of
	debugging output (you can scroll 'way back).  Tek has hacked a version
	of vi so that vi can be used with 4025s, but curses and dpy are
	incompatible with the 4025.  The terminal sitting on my desk is a Tek
	4105, which is a much more powerful ansi/graphics terminal.

>         Teleray 1061
>         Televideo (TVI) 912
	Televideo
>         Wyse 50, 75, and 350
	Wyse

Hope this helps, Anne.

 _	___
| |    / _ \   James T. Perkins, jamesp@dadla.la.tek.com, (503)629-1149
| |__ | |_| |  Tektronix Logic Analyzers, DAS System Software, Disk Services
|____||_| |_|  MS 92-725, PO Box 4600, Beaverton OR 97075

This package is sold by weight, not by volume.  Some settling of contents may
have occurred during shipping and handling.