[comp.terminals] Televideo 905 vs. Wyse 50

finton@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David Finton) (07/16/88)

I'm in need of some expert advice.  I'm considering buying either
a refurbished Televideo 905 (by mail order for $150) or a used Wyse
50 terminal in town ($215).  I've been told that these are comparable
machines.  I used to have a Televideo 921 in my office and loved it;
and I've been told that the 905 is a newer model of the 921, but with
a 14" screen instead of a 12".  I believe the Wyse also has a 14" screen,
but I don't know if it has the handy row of function keys that the
Televideo does.

Can you tell me anything which would make one of these more
attractive than the other?  Thanks for any insight you can offer.

                                David

tomk@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Kopp) (07/17/88)

In article <5992@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, finton@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David Finton) writes:
> I'm in need of some expert advice.  I'm considering buying either
> a refurbished Televideo 905 (by mail order for $150) or a used Wyse
> 50 terminal in town ($215).  I've been told that these are comparable
> machines.  I used to have a Televideo 921 in my office and loved it;
> Can you tell me anything which would make one of these more
> attractive than the other?  Thanks for any insight you can offer.

David:
I am an assistant in the computer lab where I go (Carroll College) Where we
have both Wyse 50's and various models of TVIs.  We have other terminals, but
my preference always goes to the Wyse's even though they were not the default
'terminal type' under the setup we had programmed for editors and such.  I
found it to have a far nicer keyboard, easy-to-read 14" green screen, etc.
I strongly recommend you go to the Wyse.

--
_____ _____ |"Reading computer manuals without    |tomk@lakesys.UUCP
------------- software" - Arthur C. Clarke        ----------------------------

bobbyd@upvax.UUCP (Oswald Brews) (07/17/88)

In article <mumbojumbo> finton@ai.cs.wisc.edu (David Finton) writes:
>...  I believe the Wyse also has a 14" screen,
>but I don't know if it has the handy row of function keys that the
>Televideo does.

I can tell you that the "handy row of function keys" on the TVI 905 is
completely and utterly USELESS:  each key can contain only SEVEN (7) bytes.
Even when logged into a Unix machine, that's a rather tight squeeze.  Okay,
so "rogue" + a <CR> is only SIX bytes 8-)

In praise of the 905, however, I can say that the display is crisp and the
characters are large and very comfortable to read.  You can get amber on the
905 if you prefer it to green.  So if you're able to live with severely
limited fkeys, go for it.  But if you have a couple extra bucks, the 955 is
a much nicer terminal - same physically, but greatly enhanced firmware.

No, I don't work for Televideo, but I've used practically every bloody
terminal they've ever made.  Some suck, some amaze.  Maybe someday they'll
put all the great features into one terminal, and all the shitty features
into another, and of course my boss will buy the latter. 8-) 8-(

Terminally yours,

bobbyd%upvax%tektronix.tek.com@relay.cs.net