[comp.terminals] AT&T 605 Terminal and the AT&T 6386

dew@ttrde.UUCP (Dan Wolski) (07/23/88)

This in in response to an article about the compatibility of the
AT&T 605 terminal and the AT&T 6386, running multiple DOS applications
under UNIX.

The 605 BCT is designed to automatically operate correctly with the
6386 in both UNIX and DOS. The 605 in DOS sends scan codes to the 6386.
The scan codes are passed to the DOS programs in the same manner as
a PC keyboard would pass key codes.  The note in the 605 Simultask and
VP/ix configuration files regarding a potential mapping problem is -not-
true and has been removed from the current releases of both the Simultask
and VP/ix files.

In UNIX you set the terminal option for a "Normal" keyboard. Simultask
takes care of switching the terminal to the PC mode when you run DOS and
back again when you return to UNIX.  UNIX will only recognize the Normal
mode.

The 605 has been designed to work as an asynchronous terminal, and also
as a terminal for use with the AT&T 6386 running DOS applications.
The 605 is compatible with the 6386, VP/ix, and Simultask 386.

Jack Feldman
att!skaosa!skaosl!jf

> Article 680 of 680, Wed 11:32.
> Subject: AT&T 605 terminal with AT&T 6386 DOS-under-UNIX?
 Shriners Burns Institute, Galveston)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.att,comp.terminals
> (31 lines) More? [ynq] y
> We are in the process of evaluating an AT&T 6386 running Simultask-386
> (aka VP/ix), which lets us run DOS under Unix.  This requires the use
> of a supplement to termcap/terminfo which maps between DOS i/o and what
> a terminal understands.

> We're pulling our hair out trying to find terminals and configuration
> files which will let us run DOS satisfactorily from a serial line.
> (The complications caused by incompatible character sets, screen sizes
> and key combinations get to be pretty ugly.)  One of the few terminals
> which Simultask-386 claims to support is the AT&T 605.  Unfortunately
> its config file (/usr/vpix/term/605) contains the following caveat:
>
> >> * NOTE: To fix keyboard mapping problem in 605 ROM, we no longer use
> >> *       The 605 in PC compatible mode.  (+,-; /,*; keys are reversed)
> >> *       If the rom is fixed someday remove the following and change
> >> *       pccompat to y in section iii. In the meantime, we introduce a
> >> *       special type of pccompat - k.   k means I'm a dumb terminal
> >> *       but I use scan codes so I send 8 bit chars.

> Does anyone know any more about this?  Is there any chance that the ROM
> bug has been or will be fixed?  How much of a problem does this cause in
> practice?  (We don't yet have our hands on a 605 terminal.)

> And if anyone is happily running DOS under Unix from remote terminals,
> could you please let us know what your solution is?

> -- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
> -- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
cs.utexas.edu  uunet!ut-sally!cs.utexas.edu!woton!riddle