[comp.terminals] Mysterious VT100 behaviors

koonce@chex.Berkeley.EDU (tim koonce) (09/01/88)

When testing out a vt100 emulator program, a friend of mine discovered
that EVE running under VMS expects it to interpret  ^Z [ ... q as an
LED command.  This is undocumented, and runs contrary to the documentation
I have.  He claims that other vt100 compatible terminals he's used
recognize this.  Does anyone have more information about this or any
other undocumented "features" of the vt100 series?

					- Tim Koonce

koonce@math.berkeley.edu
...!ucbvax!math!koonce

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (09/01/88)

In article <13801@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> koonce@math.berkeley.edu writes:
-When testing out a vt100 emulator program, a friend of mine discovered
-that EVE running under VMS expects it to interpret  ^Z [ ... q as an
-LED command.  This is undocumented, and runs contrary to the documentation
-I have.  He claims that other vt100 compatible terminals he's used
-recognize this.  Does anyone have more information about this or any
-other undocumented "features" of the vt100 series?

I don't know what you mean by "undocumented".  It is described on
page 48 of my copy of the VT100 User Guide.

john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) (09/02/88)

)
)I don't know what you mean by "undocumented".  It is described on
)page 48 of my copy of the VT100 User Guide.

Hmm.  Not in *my* copy of the VT100 User Guide.  It does mention the
"ESC [ ... q" escape sequence which turns on any of the four status
LEDs or turns them all off, with parameter values of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 0.
But on VT100s and most clones, ^Z just prints a blot on the screen.

Every decent VT100 clone I have seen supports at least one status LED
and usually all four.

John Chew
--
john j. chew, iii  poslfit@utorgpu.bitnet
    trigraph, inc. poslfit@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (09/04/88)

>)-... EVE running under VMS expects it to interpret  ^Z [ ... q as an
>)-LED command.

I assumed the fellow meant ESC not ctrl-Z.  No program in its
right mind would expect ctrl-Z anything to act as an ANSI X3.64
escape sequence.

pechter@dasys1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (09/04/88)

In article <13801@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> koonce@math.berkeley.edu writes:
>When testing out a vt100 emulator program, a friend of mine discovered
>that EVE running under VMS expects it to interpret  ^Z [ ... q as an
>LED command.  This is undocumented, and runs contrary to the documentation
>I have.

Does anyone have more information about this or any other undocumented
"features" of the vt100 series?

There'a a number of undocumented "features" on the VT100 - some of which
are real nasty microcode bugs in the firmware.  The <ESC>[a;b;c;d q series
which are used for the leds are a bear.  There's a pattern that turns on
the LOCAL (or was it ON LINE) led regardless of whether the terminal was on
line.

Another turned on the bell continuously, another was a high speed autorepeat.
Hit a key and it filled the screen.

I believe DECUS had someone write an article about this for the Vax Pageswapper
SIG publication.  I'd love a copy if anyone has it.

We used to send the bell one around at DEC as a "letter bomb" -- send the
sequence to someone to read and BOOM.  Mail now filters the sequences!

--
Bill Pechter          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!pechter
 USnail 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (09/05/88)

In article <6249@dasys1.UUCP> pechter@dasys1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) writes:
>There'a a number of undocumented "features" on the VT100 - some of which
>are real nasty microcode bugs in the firmware.

My favorites:

Infinite wait mode (display wait in the upper left corner until someone
hits the power switch): <esc>[?2;8y

Flashing background mode (also puts the terminal in local):
<esc>[?2;15y (I think)

Disabling flow control and sending scrolling region sequences at 2400
baud would drive the vt100 batty, sometimes doing such things as 24
copies of one line (the one with the cursor, the terminal still works!)
reverse scroling (linefeed means go up a line) etc.  Usually the terminal
would reset itself eventually.

(If you didn't guess, the policy of not letting students read the manual
wasn't very efective, it led us to things we wouldn't have found otherwise.)

Some of the documented sequences were fun too: Tops-10 had a way to
type a file (in a public directory) from a not logged in terminal.
By putting a ^E in the end of the file and programming the answerback
buffer, an infinite loop displaying the file could be created.
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson
Prime mailing list:	info-prime-request%ais1@ecla.usc.edu
			oberon!ais1!info-prime-request

koonce@wish-bone.Berkeley.EDU (tim koonce) (09/07/88)

In article <401@trigraph.UUCP>, john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) writes:
> In article <8411@smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
> )In article <13801@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> koonce@math.berkeley.edu writes:
> )-When testing out a vt100 emulator program, a friend of mine discovered
> )-that EVE running under VMS expects it to interpret  ^Z [ ... q as an
> )-LED command.  This is undocumented, and runs contrary to the documentation
> )-I have.
> )
> )I don't know what you mean by "undocumented".  It is described on
> )page 48 of my copy of the VT100 User Guide.
>
> Hmm.  Not in *my* copy of the VT100 User Guide.

The question did, in fact, refer to the use of ^Z, rather than ESC.

Luckily, I found out that the problem was due to a bug in the local
installation of EVE, which caused it to send ^Z for that sequence.

In regards to the other odd behaviors that people mentioned, is there
a good summary somewhere of some of these?

Also, does anyone know what the phrase 'ANSI graphics' refers to?

					- Tim Koonce

koonce@math.berkeley.edu
...!ucbvax!math!koonce