[comp.terminals] Magic cookie terminals

arimoto@hpycla.HP.COM (Nozomu Arimoto) (09/06/88)

I have a question about Magic cookie terminals.

When a display enhancement is turned on or turned off on Magic cookie
terminals, it leaves one or even two blanks on the screen.
So if the commands (man command and etc.) which are related to the
display are used on Magic cookie terminals, the display is incorrect.
Blanks are inserted preceding the first character of the highlighting
character string and following the last character of the highlighting
character string.

How about this problem?

Nozomu Arimoto

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (09/07/88)

In article <1880003@hpycla.HP.COM> arimoto@hpycla.HP.COM (Nozomu Arimoto) writes:
>How about this problem?

How about that.

Now you know why we consider "magic cookie" terminals brain-damaged.

loverso@encore.UUCP (John Robert LoVerso) (09/08/88)

In an article, Nozomu Arimoto <arimoto@hpycla.HP.COM> writes:
> When a display enhancement is turned on or turned off on Magic cookie
> terminals, it leaves one or even two blanks on the screen.
> So if the commands (man command and etc.) which are related to the
> display are used on Magic cookie terminals, the display is incorrect.
> Blanks are inserted preceding the first character of the highlighting
> character string and following the last character of the highlighting
> character string.
>
> How about this problem?

Both Termcap and terminfo have a kludge to handle this.  In addition to
"so" (begin standout mode) and "se" (end standout mode), there is an
"sg" capability, "number of garbage characters left by so or se".  The
same goes for underline mode "us/ue/ug".  One problem is that the "m?"
capabilities (mb/md/me/mh/mk/mp/mr) doesn't have an equivalent "mg".

Unfortunately, some (older) code in 4.3BSD that uses termcap doesn't
even recognize the "ug" capability.  That's ok, 'cause (the normally
superior) terminfo *only* lets you specify a magic cookie glitch for
"so/se".

On a Wyse 75, the "enhance mode" doesn't use a magic cookie (but you
can only get one of dim, inverse, underline for the enter screen),
while the "field attributes" do use magic cookies (but give you
choices of dim, blink, blank, underline, and inverse, in all
combinations).  For my own wyse 75 termcap, I have so/se using
the "enter enhance mode" with the enhance attribute set to inverse.
I have us/ue/ug using the field attribute underline.  I'd also like
to be able to use the "m?" capabilities via the "field attributes",
but if I do, things look bad because there's no way to specify that
they use a magic cookie (garbage character).

John Robert LoVerso
Encore Computer Corp
encore!loverso, loverso@multimax.arpa, [soon: LoVerso@Encore.COM]

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (09/15/88)

In article <8448@smoke.ARPA>, gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:

> Now you know why we consider "magic cookie" terminals brain-damaged.

No.  This would imply that magic cookies *have* a brain to damage :-)

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl