[comp.terminals] Sysline for VT100?

mcb@tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) (09/23/88)

Pardon me if this is a completely Joe question, but I've been asked to
check out whether a VT100 (real or emulator) can be made to work with
sysline(1), via a special termcap, some sort of initialization
string, etc.?

My understanding was that VT100s (we don't have any real ones here,
only various emulations on PCs, Macs, and non-DEC terminals) don't
have an addressable, writable status line, but I'm willing to be
corrected.

Any info appreciated, preferably by mail as I don't get to
comp.terminals often.

Thanks,

Michael C. Berch
mcb@tis.llnl.gov / uunet!tis.llnl.gov!mcb / ames!lll-tis!mcb

mcb@tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) (09/27/88)

In article <22407@tis.llnl.gov> mcb@tis.llnl.gov I wrote:
> Pardon me if this is a completely Joe question, but I've been asked to
> check out whether a VT100 (real or emulator) can be made to work with
> sysline(1), via a special termcap, some sort of initialization
> string, etc.?

Thanks to all those who responded.  The consensus was that this can be
achieved by use of the VT100's ability to have non-scrolling regions
and is enabled by use of the vt100-s-bot or vt100-s-top termcaps.
I have tested sysline with vt100-s-bot and it seems to work, even with
the non-DEC emulations.

Gratefully,

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (09/28/88)

In article <22407@tis.llnl.gov>, mcb@tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) writes:
| Pardon me if this is a completely Joe question, but I've been asked to
| check out whether a VT100 (real or emulator) can be made to work with
| sysline(1), via a special termcap, some sort of initialization
| string, etc.?
|
| My understanding was that VT100s (we don't have any real ones here,
| only various emulations on PCs, Macs, and non-DEC terminals) don't
| have an addressable, writable status line, but I'm willing to be
| corrected.

It can be faked with a special init and a scroll region, but it leaves you
with a 23 line terminal.

terry@wsccs