[comp.terminals] X-Windows terminal from Wyse ?

mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) (09/26/88)

I've heard that Wyse may be planning to introduce an X-Windows
terminal with built-in Ethernet soon.  Costs around $3000.

Does anyone have any information on this ?

Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca
York University, North York, Ontario,		uunet!mnetor!yunexus!ists!mike
CANADA M3J 1P3					+1 (416) 736-5611

casey@admin.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (09/28/88)

In article <215@ists> mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) writes:
> I've heard that Wyse may be planning to introduce an X-Windows terminal
> with built-in Ethernet soon.  Costs around $3000.  Does anyone have any
> information on this ?

  I've heard rumors of some X terminals also and likewise would be
interested in any solid reports.  However, they better come in under $3K
or they're looking at a product that just isn't going to sell.  (Any
manufacturers listening?)

  $3K is just too close to the price of certain work stations, and with
the possibility of being able to run X on your favorite PC just seemingly
around the corner ...  I would say that for a product like an X terminal
to succeed, it would have to come in at $1500 or below.  (Well under the
price of your favorite PC/workstation + X package.)  This price may well
be impossible to hit given the amount of hardware needed for such a beast.

Casey

milliken@bbn.com (Walter Milliken) (09/28/88)

In article <16248@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, casey@admin (Casey Leedom) writes:
>In article <215@ists> mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) writes:
>> I've heard that Wyse may be planning to introduce an X-Windows terminal
>> with built-in Ethernet soon.  Costs around $3000.  Does anyone have any
>> information on this ?
>
>  I've heard rumors of some X terminals also and likewise would be
>interested in any solid reports.  However, they better come in under $3K
>or they're looking at a product that just isn't going to sell.  (Any
>manufacturers listening?)

I don't know anything about a Wyse terminal, but Visual just gave us a
demo yesterday.  Their terminal lists for $1995, and looks fairly
good.  It did evidence a few minor display bugs, however.  They have a
rather nice way of handling fonts (it can get them through NFS or a
special font server they supply to run under Unix).  The screen is
a bit small (14", 1024x800), and they currently use an interlaced
monitor, which flickers visibly with some bitmaps.  Performance is
better than a Sun 3/50 running the souped-up R2 server (maybe twice as
fast) -- not amazingly fast, but good enough to be usable.  The
terminal can run over SLIP (up to 38kbaud) as well as thin- and
thick-wire Ethernet.  The terminal can also run as a conventional
VT100-style ASCII terminal running TCP/IP telnet over the Ethernet.

The Visual people said a new software release was in the works, and
that they would shortly have a non-interlaced monitor version of the
terminal (which I would definitely prefer).  If the next software
release fixes the few bugs I saw, I'd say this terminal is a good buy.
It's not quite like having a Sun 3/50-sized screen, but it should be
reasonable as an X server for the cost-conscious.

---Walter

pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul Anderson) (09/29/88)

In article <16248@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> casey@cs.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) writes:
>In article <215@ists> mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) writes:
>> I've heard that Wyse may be planning to introduce an X-Windows terminal
>> with built-in Ethernet soon.  Costs around $3000.  Does anyone have any
>> information on this ?
>  $3K is just too close to the price of certain work stations, and with
>the possibility of being able to run X on your favorite PC just seemingly
>around the corner ...

Ummm... this is an interesting point. Here at Sales Technologies, we
have a number of people all equipped with PC's and mice and EGAs...
We are going to be getting into X in a big way during the next year.
We also have Phil Karn's source for his PC TCP/IP package and GSS
drivers for EGA's.  (If you don't know the name, Mr. Karn can be
found frequenting the ham-radio.packet group. The TCP code is used
in Amateur Radio Packet Networks.) I suspect that a long weekend hack
(or 3) is going to result in a PC-XTerminal.  As a (usenet) group,
we are probably far closer to having an XTerminal than industrial
sources are.  The big and only question that I have is "Can I get
it to fit in 640k?" (The classic 10 pounds of guana (no offense
intended) in a 6 pound bag]  :-)  :-)

--
Paul Anderson                                         decvax!gatech!stiatl!pda
Sales Technologies, Inc

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (10/08/88)

In article <16248@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> casey@cs.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) writes:
>  $3K is just too close to the price of certain work stations, and with
>the possibility of being able to run X on your favorite PC just seemingly
>around the corner ...

Well, you can buy an X server for PC-DOS now from Locus...  They'll have
to do some more work on it, though, before it becomes really usable.

The problem is, you need a couple-thousand-dollar PC (and probably an
$500-600 ethernet card), which, if you don't happen to *have* a PC,
makes an X terminal pretty attractive.

			Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!fai!ronc -or- ronc@fai.com

      Calling all Fujitsu Usenet sites!  Contact fai!ronc or
      ronc@fai.com to establish uucp connection.