[comp.terminals] Need Advice On "H19"

shers@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Alex Sherstinsky) (11/27/88)

Hello:

I have an "h19" terminal that does not have a brightness knob.  Everytime
I turn it on, it defaults to the maximum brightness, which becomes unbearable
in the evenings.  Does anyone out there know how to change the brightness
using the keyboard?  I have tried all combinations of shifts, controls, and
the arrow keys, but it did not help.  Maybe it takes more than that?
Please mail all replies to shers@caf.mit.edu.

Very much obliged,
Alex

ptownson@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Patrick Townson) (11/27/88)

In article <1541@mit-caf.MIT.EDU>, shers@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Alex Sherstinsky) writes:
> Hello:
>
> I have an "h19" terminal that does not have a brightness knob.  Everytime
> I turn it on, it defaults to the maximum brightness, which becomes unbearable
> in the evenings.  Does anyone out there know how to change the brightness
> using the keyboard?  I have tried all combinations of shifts, controls, and
> the arrow keys, but it did not help.  Maybe it takes more than that?
> Please mail all replies to shers@caf.mit.edu.
>
> Very much obliged,
> Alex

Well, what happened to the brightness knob? Is this some revision of the H19/
Z19 which did not have one? I've never heard of that. I've an H19 I built from
a Heathkit several years ago (like around 1981) and it is still a great unit.

There are no key strokes, or escape sequences to set the brightness. The only
thing of that nature you can do is switch from regular to inverse video
with ESC m and ESC q.

If you can't accomplish it any other way, try adusting a trimmer on the
circuit board. R128 controls the raster, R138 controls the focus, R312 is
the vertical size, and either R402 or R407 is the brightness. Adjust those
until you hare happy with it. Anyway, what happened to the brightness knob?

Patrick Townson