[comp.terminals] Double characters from Wyse 60 keyboard

culmer@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Charles Culmer) (11/26/88)

I have a two year old Wyse 60 terminal with their ascii keyboard.

Several of the keys have started occasionally producing double
characters.  At first, it was "00" and "--".  Now it includes
"22", "ww", "uu", "ll", and "..".  Soon ...

Is this a problem that I can easily fix myself?  Thanks.

Charles W. Culmer                  Iowa must be Heaven 'cause
culmer@eniac.seas.upenn.edu        My Mother comes from there

bill@bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) (12/02/88)

In article <6347@netnews.upenn.edu> culmer@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Charles Culmer) writes:
>I have a two year old Wyse 60 terminal with their ascii keyboard.
>
>Several of the keys have started occasionally producing double
>characters.  At first, it was "00" and "--".  Now it includes
>"22", "ww", "uu", "ll", and "..".  Soon ...
>
>Is this a problem that I can easily fix myself?  Thanks.

And mine had keybounce on the entire lower row and the space bar.  WHen I had
a failure of video I sent it in for repair.  WYSE said they found a
cold-solder joint in the keyboard.

Mine was intermittent, and sometimes a sharp rap would make it get better or
worse.  I also found that the paper insulator under they keyboard, that has
foil on one side to eliminate radiation, had the paper puncturered by some
long solder leads on the keyboard, and caused some key shorting.

Take a close look and you might be able to fix it yourself.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP