[comp.terminals] 620 question

rk@bigbroth.UUCP (rohan kelley) (12/18/88)

I'm running AT&T 620s on a 3b2/400 SysV 3.1.  The setup is:
Speed: 19.2 (using eports board and current software)
parity: none
Check parity: no
Local echo: off
Encoding: off
Generate flow: on
receive flow: on
Pass Flow: yes

Monitor mode: off
Auto wrap: on
Newline on LF: no

The problem is the screen buffer seems to fill up and then, when
I scroll, for instance cating a file, reading news, etc. it only
scrolls or repaints 8-10 lines and the cursor freezes in place.
Pressing a key, space bar or return, runs it another 8-10 lines and it
freezes again.

If I turn the terminal off, then on, it works OK for a while, and then
it seems when the buffer is full again, the same problem recurrs.

The problem is particularly iritating when we're running Word Perfect
since as we scroll to a new page or place in the document, the screen
doesn't paint properly.

(For example - my cursor just froze when I :r in my uucp.signature
file)
Rohan Kelley -- UNIleX Systems, Inc. (Systems and software for lawyers)
UUCP:  ...{gatech!uflorida,ucf-cs}!novavax!bigbroth!rk (office)
                     "            !novavax!lbrotr!rk  (home)
ATTmail:  attmail!bigbroth!rk
3365 Galt Ocean Drive, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308 Phone: (305) 563-1504

"Go first class or your heirs will" -somebodyelse

derrick@auvax.UUCP (Derrick Rowlandson) (12/20/88)

I have had this problem too, but have not experimented with the 620's a whole
lot. Another problem i have had with the 620's is the unexplainable
inabiity of some of them to not run the windowing software.....

if anyone can shed light on either of these oddities, please do

thanks

derrick

fst@mcgp1.UUCP (Skip Tavakkolian) (12/23/88)

In article <814@auvax.UUCP>, derrick@auvax.UUCP (Derrick Rowlandson) writes:
> I have had this problem too, but have not experimented with the 620's a whole
> lot. Another problem i have had with the 620's is the unexplainable
> inabiity of some of them to not run the windowing software.....
> if anyone can shed light on either of these oddities, please do
> thanks
> derrick

I can make a few suggestions regarding 620's. These may not be the cause of
your problems, since I do not know the details.  One thing to note is that
620s do not like in-band flow control (XON-XOFF) at all, when running layers.
I encountered the problem, when calling from home into a virtual circuit switch
(DataKit(R) ) where the port setting allowed for XON-XOFF flow control.

The other problem may be the need to have the file:
``/usr/lib/layersys/lsys.8;7;3''. This normally is installed with the windowing
utilities on SVR3.1 system.  I seem to recall having to create a file by
this name on a SVR2.0.? using the DMD software.  Just create it by
``> lsys.8\;7\;3'' in the directory $DMD/layersys. (I am not sure about the
directory since all our machines now are running SVR3.1).  My 630 at work
would not run without this file present (something about ROM mismatch).
I have a 620 at home and it works fine (even at 1200 bps). (My be you can
trade your 620 in for a 630, you'll better off)

Sincerely
--
Fariborz ``Skip'' Tavakkolian
UUCP	...!uw-beaver!tikal!mcgp1!fst