[comp.terminals] AT&T 630 terminal - software ??

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/18/89)

In article <1762@edison.GE.COM> rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) writes:
>An alternative would be the 620 MTG which is rather cheaper and
>has many of the same features and capabilities as the 630 MTG:

Glad you mentioned this.  As I recall the 620 doesn't support
downloaded code but does have built-in Tektronix 4014 emulation
in addition to the usual cursor-oriented terminal emulation.

There is also a 615 with even fewer features (just character-
oriented terminal emulation on a smaller screen, as I recall).

For purposes of the original debate about the relative utility
of spiffy vs. dumb terminals, any of these models could stand
in for the 630 in the previous discussion.  Happens we have
several 630s (including my most-used terminal), so I'm more
familiar with the deluxe member of the family.

>The 620 is specifically mentioned as needing either the 5620 DMD
>software or xt software on the host system to support multiple sessions.

UNIX System V Release 3 is supposed to come with the (optionally
installable) Basic Windowing Utilities package that provides the
host support necessary for using the 615, 620, 630, or 5620 in
"layers" (multiple-window) mode.  For other systems the DMD host
software package is available under separate license, and even
if your system DOES come with "xt" (layers) protocol support, to
build 5620 or 630 downloadable processes (such as the "sam" editor
interactive part) you need the appropriate software development
package, licensed separately.  Both System V and 4.nBSD versions
are available (the latter perhaps via AT&T Teletype in Skokie IL
rather than the usual Greensboro NC licensing folks).