[comp.terminals] ESC[@ Ansi Insert Char - Where Does Cursor Go?

dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis.Bednar) (02/17/89)

If you position the cursor to row 2, column 1, of an ANSI
terminal, and send the escape sequence ESC[@, is the cursor
supposed to remain on row 2, column 1 (ie over the newly
inserted blank character), or is it supposed to move down to
row 3 column 1?

Is there a document that describes the ANSI escape sequences
rigorously?  Can someone e-mail me a copy of there is one?

Thanks in advance.

--
FullName:	Dennis Bednar
UUCP:		{uunet|sundc}!rlgvax!dennis

robert@shangri-la.gatech.edu (Robert Viduya) (02/18/89)

> If you position the cursor to row 2, column 1, of an ANSI
> terminal, and send the escape sequence ESC[@, is the cursor
> supposed to remain on row 2, column 1 (ie over the newly
> inserted blank character), or is it supposed to move down to
> row 3 column 1?

According to the ISO6429 standard (a super-set of the ANSI X3.64 standard) the
position of the cursor after an insert is not defined.  On all terminals that
I've seen that support the X3.64 standard, the cursor does not move.  For it
to move is ridiculous as the most common activity after an insert-character is
to place the character to be inserted.

> Is there a document that describes the ANSI escape sequences
> rigorously?  Can someone e-mail me a copy of there is one?

ANSI and ISO standards can be found in most technical libraries.  I found them
at the GaTech library; if you have a university handy, you might check their
library.  Failing that you can contact ANSI directly:

	American National Standards Institute
	1430 Broadway Avenue
	New York City, New York

	(212) 354-3300

Call them and ask them for ordering information first.  Ask for the X3.64
standard.

				robert

--
Robert Viduya					   robert@shangri-la.gatech.edu
Office of Computing Services

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (02/18/89)

In article <1117@rlgvax.UUCP> dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis.Bednar) writes:
-If you position the cursor to row 2, column 1, of an ANSI
-terminal, and send the escape sequence ESC[@, is the cursor
-supposed to remain on row 2, column 1 (ie over the newly
-inserted blank character), or is it supposed to move down to
-row 3 column 1?

It's supposed to remain at row 2, column 1.

-Is there a document that describes the ANSI escape sequences
-rigorously?  Can someone e-mail me a copy of there is one?

ANS X3.64 is presumably available from the American National
Standards Institute.  I doubt that there's an on-line version.