[comp.terminals] terminals in southern hemisphere

sean@geac.UUCP (Sean Phelan) (02/15/89)

I've just received a message from a colleague in Australia.  The local
representative of Wyse Technology, whose terminals we are starting to
use all over the world, is saying that the terminals have to be aligned
differently in the Southern hemisphere, because the magnetic flux of the
Earth goes the opposite way.

Now, this sounds to me like complete b*llsh*t, perhaps the kind of story
a salesman uses to get a local order.  When I try dividing the Earth's
magnetic flux into it's x,y,z vector components and look at how they
affect a terminal, I conclude that a North facing terminal in the Northern
hemisphere is going to be affect in EXACTLY the same way as a South facing
terminal in the Southern hemisphere.

However, I might have overlooked something.  So my questions to the Net are :

Does a terminal experience any effects from the Earth's magnetic field, and
if so do these effect differ between the Northern and Southern hemispheres ?

Thanks,

Sean

PS - if, as I very strongly suspect, the Wyse salesman is just trying it on,
     I would NOT suggest that anybody call their Wyse rep. complaining that
     they have received a Southern hemisphere terminal at a Northern
     hemisphere site.  To do so would be very irresponsible indeed.
     I advise against it.
--
Sean Phelan 		Geac Computer Corporation, Markham, Ontario
sean@geac

jmunro@wyse.wyse.com (Jim Munro) (02/16/89)

In article <6569@geac.UUCP> sean@geac.UUCP (Sean Phelan) writes:
>I've just received a message from a colleague in Australia.  The local
>representative of Wyse Technology, whose terminals we are starting to
>use all over the world, is saying that the terminals have to be aligned
>differently in the Southern hemisphere, because the magnetic flux of the
>Earth goes the opposite way.
>
>Now, this sounds to me like complete b*llsh*t, perhaps the kind of story
>a salesman uses to get a local order.  When I try dividing the Earth's

	Beleive it or not, this is all true. Terminals are indeed affected
	by the earth's magnetic field and will appear out of allignment
	if they are shipped from one hemisphere to another. The effect
	is a 'rotation of the screen image'. This is not a very big
	mis-allignment but it is enough for major customers to reject profduct
	because they may no longer meet our stringent allignment specs.

	Wyse has installed a system in our Taiwan plant which can emulate
	the magnetic field in any part of the world. This is used to
	allign units going to the southern hemisphere.

	Years ago, we had a similar problem with units going to Europe.
	At that time the solution was to allign the units while they were facing 	north-south. This solves the problem for Europe but not for
	Austrlaia.

	I hope this restores your trust in our sales reps.

Jim Munro

WYSE Technology.

ZZ

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (02/16/89)

In article <6569@geac.UUCP> sean@geac.UUCP (Sean Phelan) writes:
>I've just received a message from a colleague in Australia.  The local
>representative of Wyse Technology, whose terminals we are starting to
>use all over the world, is saying that the terminals have to be aligned
>differently in the Southern hemisphere, because the magnetic flux of the
>Earth goes the opposite way.
>
>Now, this sounds to me like complete b*llsh*t, perhaps the kind of story
>a salesman uses to get a local order.  When I try dividing the Earth's
>magnetic flux into it's x,y,z vector components and look at how they
>affect a terminal, I conclude that a North facing terminal in the Northern
>hemisphere is going to be affect in EXACTLY the same way as a South facing
>terminal in the Southern hemisphere.

The vertical component of the magnetic field is the opposite in the
two cases (south facing in south hemi. vs. n-facing in n-hemi) even
though the horizontal components are the same (roughly).  This causes
the electron beam in the CRT to curve to the side in opposite directions
in the two cases.  The question is, 'Is this important?'

For a quantitative understanding, the radius of gyration of a particle
with charge Z (-1 for an electron, ignore the minus sign) and energy
E keV (~15 keV for a monochrome terminal, more for color, all numbers
are approximate) in a field of B gauss (it is ~1/2 for the Earth,
the z-component is less still, call it 1/4 gauss just to be simple) is:

		R (cm) = E (eV)/ (300  Z B (gauss))

R = 200 cm. Over a 20 cm path from the gun to the screen, the beam is
deflected by ~ 1mm  (20 cm * (1 - cos(20/200 radians)).  This means
that the whole image is shifted (horizontally) on the order of a millimeter.

This may be important for color systems with their shadow masks,
but I doubt that it makes much difference in a monochrome system.

As a sanity check, pointing the terminal East instead of West should
cause a similar vertical shift.  This seems to work okay.

Just remember, the creature you meet when you talk to customer service
is designed to sell, and he doesn't care whether its toothpaste, terminals
or weapons systems.  As long as he extracts money from your pocket into
his company, he is successful.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he may have noticed that the terminals
he gets are often badly aligned.  This may be due to rough shipment, but
he may think that it is due to the magnetic field.

		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!palmer
	"I was sad that I had no shirt, until I met a man with no torso"

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (02/17/89)

And if you think the earth's magnetic field is too weak to have a
noticeable effect on anything, you'd have trouble believing that
magnetic compasses work.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu

) (02/17/89)

In article <6569@geac.UUCP>, sean@geac.UUCP (Sean Phelan) writes:
> I've just received a message from a colleague in Australia.  The local
> representative of Wyse Technology, whose terminals we are starting to
> use all over the world, is saying that the terminals have to be aligned
> differently in the Southern hemisphere, because the magnetic flux of the
> Earth goes the opposite way.

I do have problems with my eye-glasses too... I bought them in EUROPE!!!

---
			     ___                            ____   ___
======================= | /   |      /\     |\   |  |   |  /      /   \  |    |
Kianusch  SAYAH-KARADJI |/    |     /  \    | \  |  |   |  \___   |      |____|
{!pixar!unicom!sayah_k} |\    |    /----\   |  \ |  |   |      \  |      |    |
======================= | \  _|_  /      \  |   \|  \___/  ____/  \___/  |    |

rauletta@gmu90x.UUCP ( ) (02/20/89)

In article <420@unicom.UUCP> sayah_k@unicom.UUCP (KIANUSCH... Oh, no! It`s this guy again !!!) writes:
>In article <6569@geac.UUCP>, sean@geac.UUCP (Sean Phelan) writes:
>> I've just received a message from a colleague in Australia.  The local
>> representative of Wyse Technology, whose terminals we are starting to
>> use all over the world, is saying that the terminals have to be aligned
>> differently in the Southern hemisphere, because the magnetic flux of the
>> Earth goes the opposite way.
>
>I do have problems with my eye-glasses too... I bought them in EUROPE!!!

In early days of color television it was recommended that the
final alignment of the electron beams be performed after the
set was installed due to the influence of the Earth's
magnetic field has on the convergence of the beam's and
the resulting poor alignment of the three colors as
seen on the screen. Better sets had Mu-Metal shields to
reduce the effects of stray magnetic fields. I have noticed
that the convergence of some of my sets seem to get better
and worse as their postion is changed. But whether this
is due to stray magnetic fields or getting bounced around
is anyone's guess.  But I don't see how just
being in the Southern Hemisphere would make any difference.

One side note. The famous compass maker, Brunton, used
to require that you tell them whether their top of the
line model was to be used in the Northern or Southern
Hemisphere. Later on it was announced that the "new and
improved" model could be used in both hemispheres with
equal accuracy. As far as I know there where no apparent
differences in the Southern model and the Northern model.

Hope this trivia sheds some light on the question.

--Richard Auletta
rauletta@gmu90x.gmu.edu

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (02/21/89)

This is a very interesting idea, but conceptually I can see ne reason
for it. The corialis force is different in the southern hemisphere, but
the magnetic field is in the same direction as in the northern hemisphere.
Unless there is some other mechanism involved, it sounds bogus to me. But
one difference I can think of is that the power is at a different frequency
and voltage in australia. I believe that it is 50 HZ at 220 V, but I am not
positive. 60 HZ moniters will not work at 50 HZ, so that might be the
reason for the different moniters.

							Just my idears

							    Rich

						-Rich-@cup.portal.com

ron@hpfcmr.HP.COM (Ron Miller) (02/23/89)

Re: Magnetic Fields and CRT performance

Indeed there is a difference in performance of color CRTs in Australia.

Hewlett-Packard has had several different product designs over the last
5 years for color displays. All of them were affected by the difference
in the Earth magnetic field between where the unit was aligned and where
it was installed in Australia. Not all of them were severely affected but
it quite true that there is an effect.

One report for a delta gun CRT was that each of the gun colors was shifted
by one on a particular unit. (I have my doubts but it makes a good story!)

Ron Miller
H-P
Colorado Computer Manufacturing Operation

mjb@xpiinc.UU.NET (Michael J. Braca) (02/24/89)

OK, here is the scoop.  It turns out that the terminal misalignment
problem (i.e. a terminal aligned in the US will not appear aligned in
the southern hemisphere) is really mostly a problem in Australia only,
and is not directly related to hemisphericity.  Australia is very close
to the magnetic south pole and the magnetic field there deviates
significantly from the horizontal.  You would have a similar
problem near the magnetic north pole.

					Mike Braca
					Visual Technology, Inc.

xiaoqin@ccnysci.UUCP (Xiaoqin Guo) (02/25/89)

In article <1765@gmu90x.UUCP> rauletta@gmu90x.UUCP ( ) writes:
>In article <420@unicom.UUCP> sayah_k@unicom.UUCP (KIANUSCH... Oh, no! It`s this guy again !!!) writes:
>>In article <6569@geac.UUCP>, sean@geac.UUCP (Sean Phelan) writes:
>>> I've just received a message from a colleague in Australia.  The local
>>> representative of Wyse Technology, whose terminals we are starting to
>>> use all over the world, is saying that the terminals have to be aligned
>>> differently in the Southern hemisphere, because the magnetic flux of the
>>> Earth goes the opposite way.
>>
>>I do have problems with my eye-glasses too... I bought them in EUROPE!!!
>>
> Better sets had Mu-Metal shields to
>reduce the effects of stray magnetic fields.

 	I did the following experiment to see the effect of magnetic field
on color TV:
	I use a permanent magnet in the shape of cylinder with 1" diameter
and 1" height. When I put it beside my TV ( Brand Emson, made in Taiwan, 19" )
very little effect. But when I put it in front of TV screen, the portion
directly facing the magnet change colors into either purple or red , depending
on whether N or S is pointing the screen. The spot size is around 3" .

	Anyone interested may do the experient. But warning : Don't use a
strong magnet. The changed spot will remain the same color even after the
magnet is no longer there ! If that happen, try to use the "other " polarity"
which causing your problem to demagnetize.

	base on some calcalation and experiemnce working with electron beams,
I think it is possible that the differnce between North and South Hemisphere
magnetic field could be a problem . Even if there is u-metal shielding, the
field can definitely penetrate, althought significantly reduced, through the
screeen plan. This is probably why there is no effect when the magnet is
beside the TV.

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (02/27/89)

> Australia is very close
> to the magnetic south pole and the magnetic field there deviates
> significantly from the horizontal.  You would have a similar
> problem near the magnetic north pole.

Some quick computation gives the following rough figures:

	South Magnetic Pole to Melbourne	1900 miles
	South Magnetic Pole to Sydney		2200 miles

	North Magnetic Pole to Winnipeg		1800 miles
	North Magnetic Pole to Chicago		2350 miles
	North Magnetic Pole to Toronto		2350 miles
	North Magnetic Pole to New York		2500 miles

In other words, significant parts of North America *are* "near the
magnetic north pole"; therefore the problem would be particularly
bad if the terminals originated in those areas.

Actually, the magnetic dip angle doesn't vary in any simple fashion
with distance from the magnetic pole, but I don't have a map at hand
showing how whether the situation suggested by the above distances
is in fact true.  It's a reasonable first guess, though.

Mark Brader, Toronto	"If the standard says that [things] depend on the
utzoo!sq!msb		 phase of the moon, the programmer should be prepared
msb@sq.com		 to look out the window as necessary."  -- Chris Torek