[net.unix-wizards] 4.3 XNS

In article <2467@sdcrdcf.UUCP> darrelj@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Darrel VanBuer) writes:

>PUP stands for PARC Universal Packet.

I always thought it was Packet Universal Protocol; but who cares anyway?

>The 4.3 rumors I've heard say 4.3bsd will have XNS including sending
>files to a Xerox print server, and sending and retrieving files from
>a Xerox file server (but not emulation of an XNS file server, so
>getting a file from VAX to workstation would have to go via a Xerox
>server).

Let me solidify these rumors.  Cornell does indeed have applications
that can:

	print Interpress masters on Xerox XNSish printers;

	`gaptelnet' to a Xerox server or another 4.3 machine running
	Courier services;

	run a TTY communications server that (using a kludge on
	the Xerox side) Stars can use as virtual VT100s; and

	`xnsftp' files to and from a Xerox server.

These are to be distributed with 4.3BSD as part of the `user
contributed software' (i.e., the stuff in /usr/new).

The reason a Vax cannot yet act as a file server (or run Clearinghouse
service, or Mail service, etc.) is that these protocols are (1)
complicated and (2) hard to get out of Xerox---it is, to use that
old cliche, like pulling teeth.  `Authentication service?  Sure,
here is how to use it.  What, you want to *write* it?  Let me go
see if we are allowed to divulge that information...' :-)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu