[comp.terminals] curses/termcap vs. autowrap on DEC terminals

ram@tslanpar.UUCP (R. Meesters, Tech Support, Lanpar Toronto Ontario Canada) (05/05/89)

In article <4065@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> This is in fact required... suppose 'vi' is displaying a long line. It gets to
> column 80 and wants to put the next character at column 1 on the next line. If
> autowrap is on, it's there. If autowrap is off, it has to send a CR and an LF.
>
> If you tell vi the terminal has no autowrap when it in fact does, it will put
> a blank line in the middle of any line longer than 80 characters.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but remember, NewLine must be enabled in the
terminal.  If not, rather than sending a CR and LF, the terminal will simply
overprint the 80th charachter until it reaches the end of the line.  If
autowrap is enabled and newline disabled, the line will wrap around without
any blank lines displayed.

Regards,

	Richard Meesters		|
	Lanpar Technologies Inc.	|	"Calling YOU stupid would
	Toronto, Ontario		|	be an insult to stupid people"
	...attcan!nebulus!tslanpar!ram	|	   - A Fish Called Wanda