[comp.terminals] Wyse 60 video burnout

culmer@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (06/24/89)

I've been reading about Wyse 60 terminals for several years now, and felt
lucky because mine has behaved very well ... until today.

My picture has shrunk to the middle half of the screen horizontally.
It fills the screen vertically, but the lines are warped, and the
characters have substantially different sizes from top to bottom.

Any advice on how to fix it?

(1)  Is there some simple gizmo that I can replace myself?

(2)  Is there an alternative that might be cheaper than sending it
to Wyse for repairs?  (It's long past warranty.)

Thanks.

Charles W. Culmer
culmer@grad1.cis.upenn.edu        Truth, justice, and the Canadian way

kb@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Ken Burgess) (06/27/89)

I too am interested in the fix for this malady. I recently purchaced
five Wyse 60's at an auction and ALL of them have the exact same
symptoms as described in the base note! WHEN I find out whats wrong
I will post the soloution, if anyone knows it would save me a lot of time,
I don't have schematics.

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (06/29/89)

In article <12384@netnews.upenn.edu> culmer@grad1.cis.upenn.edu () writes:
>(2)  Is there an alternative that might be cheaper than sending it
>to Wyse for repairs?  (It's long past warranty.)

Quicker, and probably cheaper, is to call Wyse and find out the nearest
authorized depot repair.  Turnaround is usually a week (but mine is promised
tomorrow - same problem as yours - and that has been two weeks.  Service mgr
appologized and said they had been very busy.  Wyse said 4 to 6 weeks.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

kb@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Ken Burgess) (06/30/89)

I now have schematics thanks to the generous effort of a Wyse Regional
Sales Rep. I'm hot on the trail .... still no help from the net ....
Somebody out there MUST have seen this problem and found out whats wrong!
Don't be bashfull, I could use the help.

Ken (Collector of doorstops) Burgess