[comp.terminals] can I force a Wyse 50 back to native mode?

nick@aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) (07/06/89)

I am interested in knowing whether or not there is a sequence which
would force a Wyse 50 back to its native mode. That is, if someone has
entered into the SETUP mode, and changed the emulation to, say, ADDSVP,
can I force it back to WY50?

Ta.

Nick.

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (07/08/89)

In article <7474@aimed.UUCP> nick@aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) writes:
>I am interested in knowing whether or not there is a sequence which
>would force a Wyse 50 back to its native mode. That is, if someone has
>entered into the SETUP mode, and changed the emulation to, say, ADDSVP,
>can I force it back to WY50?

No, there is not an escape sequence as such for this. You would have to
enter the setup mode, and correct it manually When you are in the set
up mode you can define your own power-up defaults, however, and if Wyse 50
is your choice, then exiting setups with a 'Y' will save whatever the
setups is at present as the new defualt values. Exiting with an 'A' does
the same thing, and saves the function key macros as well.

Exiting with any other key implements whatever you did in the setup mode
for the duration, until power is cycled.

There is no way to do this remotely from another machine via escape
sequences.

If the terminal is locked up for some reason, usually pressing 'setup'
without the shift will unlock it and do a soft reset, but not always.
Depends on how messed up it got in the process of getting some rancid
information from the other end which caused the lock. If a soft reset
won't work to restore default values, then a hard reset, by cycling
power may be required.

--
Patrick Townson
  patrick@chinet.chi.il.us / ptownson@bu-cs.bu.edu / US Mail: 60690-1570