[comp.terminals] Know any terminals similar to Wyse 60 that work?

merv@gpstwr.UUCP (Merv Graham) (08/31/89)

Can anyone recommend an ASCII character terminal that has the same
features, size, etc. as a Wyse 60 that doesn't blow up at the drop of a
hat?

We run over 20 of the Wyse 60's and really like the features, display,
and small size of the keyboard (ASCII keyboard option).  BUT!!!!! we are
getting very tired of them blowing power supplies and horizontal sweep
circuits on a very regular basis.

It has gotten to the point that we stock the parts that regularly fail
and repair them "in-house".  But that has gotten old also.

I would appreciate e-mail of any recommendations that anyone has.
Thanks Merv
--
Merv Graham                 |     merv@gpstwr.UUCP
Graham-Patten Systems, Inc. | or: tektronix!gvgpsa!gpstwr!merv

woods@robohack.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (09/05/89)

In article <424@gpstwr.UUCP> merv@gpstwr.UUCP (Merv Graham) writes:
> Can anyone recommend an ASCII character terminal that has the same
> features, size, etc. as a Wyse 60 that doesn't blow up at the drop of a
> hat?

I've not had too much direct experience with the AT&T 605 terminal as
far as reliability testing, but for features it matches the Wyse 60
quite closely, with none of the brain dead command set.  Instead it is
a good ANSI X3.64 compatible terminal with PC emulation mode, and a
standard keyboard (not my favorite, but OK).  The price is reasonable.

I have seen a lot of them around, but never a dead one.  Of course
they don't come close to outnumbering the Wyse 60, at least around here.

If you want it all, the rest of the 600 line extends to the 630 with
all the graphics and windowing capability you could want!  :-)
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,tmsoft,ontmoh,utgpu,gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]	+1-416-595-5425 [w]	Toronto, Ontario;  CANADA