[net.unix-wizards] 4.2 BSD Device Drivers

mike%wsu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (Mike Kibler - System Manager) (12/05/85)

   I am looking for a good book or article on how to write
device drivers for 4.2 BSD. I will be adding a couple of
DMA drivers to our VAX 11/750 very shortly and would like
a more top level description than 4.2 code. Anybody know
of such a book/article? Please send replys to mike@wsu.

    Thanks

tpchmara@wateng.UUCP (Thomas P. Chmara, Creative Slothfulness Inc.) (12/06/85)

In article <317@brl-tgr.ARPA> mike%wsu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (Mike Kibler - System Manager) writes:

>   I am looking for a good book or article on how to write
>device drivers for 4.2 BSD.

Please post any responses, unless Mike is willing to summarize?
I've almost finished with my driver construction under Ultrix, but would
LOVE to find out how to do it right :-)
	Thanks...
		---tpc---

--
...!{allegra | decvax | clyde | ihnp4 }!watmath!wateng!tpchmara

In article <2892@wateng.UUCP> (Thomas P. Chmara) writes:
>In article <317@brl-tgr.ARPA> (Mike Kibler - System Manager) writes:
>>
>>   I am looking for a good book or article on how to write
>>device drivers for 4.2 BSD.
>
>Please post any responses, unless Mike is willing to summarize?

	I tried to mail this but it bounced! (I can't seem to get
through to the CS-NET). So since someone wants this stuff posted, her
it is:
	Try the article in Dr Dobbs Journal, December 1984. It is not
4.2 specific, but it is quite good. (The comments on the  Dsort algorithms
are in fact wrong wrt 4.2, since it implements one of the recomemended
algorithms.)
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa