[comp.terminals] Falco terminals

sebic@well.UUCP (Dave Truckenmiller) (09/29/89)

First let me thank all of you who have responded to my question about
29 line terminals.  There seems to be a couple of choices for us to make.

Since our application now has 29 lines, we need a terminal that is as
close to 29 lines as possible.  At more than, say, 34 lines (i.e.
43, 66 or 80 lines) the terminal will present alot of "blank" space
to the user.  We have given some thought to selling this area as
advertising space, or even presenting scrolling fortune messages! :-)

We have become aware of a terminal made by Falco Data Products Inc.
that supports a variable number of lines (25,26,28,33,40,44,50) by
changing the size of the character cell.

The question is, has anyone heard of this terminal?  If so, anything
good?  Please send mail to me here at the well, or at:
{lll-lcc,ucbvax,sun,pyramid}!unisoft!raven!dave

Thanks!

steve@cit5.cit.oz (Steve Balogh) (10/06/89)

We have been using Falco terminals for a year or two and find them to be
reliable and VERY versatile. I use the terminal in 48x132 mode with black
characters on a white screen. The screen is very easy on the eyes and the
characters are quite clear. (a screenful of text looks just like a page
of printed material)

The terminal is easy to set up with all options configured via the setup key.
It is possible to have several different windows each with a different format
set up simultaneously, and you only have to press the 'window' key to switch
between them.

The terminal has about 15-20 different emulations including vt100. It also has
two serial ports which can be assigned in any way you like.

	eg.    serial 1     serial 2
               serial 1     auxil  2
               etc.

It is a small footprint machine with the electronics on a small circuit board
in the base of the screen housing. The screen is about the size of a small pc
monitor. The keyboard is well laid out and the keys feel good on the fingers.

I'd recommend it...   :-)

----_--_-_-_--_-__-_------_-__---_-___-_----_-____-_-_--__-_--_--___-_-_-_--__-_

Steve Balogh	VK3YMY		      | steve@cit5.cit.oz (...oz.au)
Chisholm Institute of Technology  O^O | steve%cit5.cit.oz@uunet.UU.NET
PO Box 197, Caulfield East	   U  | ICBM: 37 52 38.8 S  145 02 42.0 E
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA. 3145	  \_/ | {hplabs,mcvax,uunet,ukc}!munnari\
+61 3 573 2266 (Ans Machine)	      |  !cit5.cit.oz!steve

garyb@gallium.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) (10/12/89)

In article <1989Oct6.020138.2850@cit5.cit.oz> steve@cit5.cit.oz (Steve Balogh) writes:

  > We have been using Falco terminals for a year or two and find them to be
  > reliable and VERY versatile.

Yes, we use them too.  Origionally, our VAX people began replacing all
our vt220's with the Falco 5220e's for vt220 mode emulation only.  The
applications were only character based, 80 and 132 column text screens.

Quite by chance, I discovered how good these terminals were for our SCO
XENIX applications as well as the VAX.  I use them for emulating vt100,
vt220, and Tektronix 4014 modes doing dual host while connected to both
systems.  The Tek graphics are real nice (monochrome on the 5220e).

  > I'd recommend it...   :-)

Me too, only make sure you get the extra screen memory (chipset) so you can
display the many available windows and configurations.  This is providing
your application requires such.  I found the setup a bit tricky.  The
programmers guide helps and Falco tech support is excellent.

--
Gary Blumenstein, UNIX Network Administrator // CIBA-GEIGY CORPORATION, USA
Voice: (914) 347-4700                  7 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY 10532