[comp.terminals] VT220 keys question

funk@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (10/31/89)

Dum question (have read TFM  at least the one I have).
We have a terminal (UNISYS SVT1220) that does vt100/vt220.
In Vt100 mode, function key f11 sends  Esc
In Vt220 mode, it sends CSI17~  (vt200 definition).
The problem comes when some of our contractors produced an emulator
for our PC's to emulate this keyboard.
They saw that the was labeled Esc (ignoring the fact that it was also
marked f11), and mapped Esc on the PC's to CSI17~.
Now, the only way to generate and Esc  is to teach the users to
do Ctl-3.  Kind of a bear in vi.

Does the VT220 have a separate Esc key?  Am I right in telling them
that their mapping is a bit flawed?

Any help greatly appreciated.  Please email.

|        Bruce Funk                         INTERNET: funk@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu |
|ACSEH, 21st TAACOM          __________________________________________________|
|Kaiserslautern, W. Germany  | Any resemblance between me and reality          |
|(guesting on osiris)        | is strictly coincidental                        |

johnk@wet.UUCP (John E. Kemker, III) (11/12/89)

In article <12900001@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu> funk@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>In Vt100 mode, function key f11 sends  Esc
>In Vt220 mode, it sends CSI17~  (vt200 definition).
>
>Does the VT220 have a separate Esc key?  Am I right in telling them
>that their mapping is a bit flawed?

The LK201 keyboard [the one used on the VT220 and VT320 terminals] have no
seperate <ESC> key.  Both of them have an f11 key that can be configured
[using setup] to send either CSI17~ or <ESC>.  Does your terminal emulator
remap the REGULAR <ESC> key on your PC keyboard?  They might be able to use
that.
--
US Snail:		| The above opinions are not necessarily those of |
John E. Kemker, III     |       The Department of Veteran Affairs.        |