[comp.terminals] dumber terminals

fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) (11/14/89)

 am looking for a dumb terminal that has no SETUP or HOLD functions for use in a public setting.
Ours are being disabled by the users. Any help here?

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (11/15/89)

In article <3026@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU
(Frank Simmons) writes:

> am looking for a dumb terminal that has no SETUP or HOLD functions ...
> Ours are being disabled by the users. Any help here?

I think the old LSI ADM-3A would handle this just fine.  It's been getting
some net.abuse lately for being SO dumb, but it sounds like that's just what
you need.

zawada@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Paul J Zawada) (11/16/89)

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison):
> In article <3026@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU
> (Frank Simmons) writes:
>
>> am looking for a dumb terminal that has no SETUP or HOLD functions ...
>> Ours are being disabled by the users. Any help here?
>
> I think the old LSI ADM-3A would handle this just fine.  It's been getting
> some net.abuse lately for being SO dumb, but it sounds like that's just what
> you need.

Where I work, we have some ADM-3A's which work well.  Those things are
almost indestructable...  However, in order to bring the users into the
80's when it comes to terminals, the group that maintains our terminals
took a bunch of Wyse-50s and cut the pc-board trace running to the
Set-up key.  Naturally, they retained a few keyboards with working
set-up keys for use as "maintenance" keyboards.  (The Wyse-50 has
a disconnectable keyboard.)  This set up keeps the users from changing
the terminal configuration, but if something needs to be changed, they just
grab a keyboard with a working set-up key and temporarily substitute it to make
appropriate changes...

pjz...

Paul J Zawada                          |   zawada@ee.ecn.purdue.edu
"E-site" Student Consultant            |  ...!pur-ee!ei.ecn.purdue.edu!zawada
Purdue University                      |
Engineering Computer Network           |    GO BOILERS!!!

ram@nebulus (Richard Meesters) (11/17/89)

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) writes:

>In article <3026@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU
>(Frank Simmons) writes:

>> am looking for a dumb terminal that has no SETUP or HOLD functions ...
>> Ours are being disabled by the users. Any help here?

>I think the old LSI ADM-3A would handle this just fine.  It's been getting
>some net.abuse lately for being SO dumb, but it sounds like that's just what
>you need.

Of course, an alternative to buying new terminals is to check with the
manufacturer of your current product to see if there is a way to disable the
setup key from the motherboard.  Or, remove the keycap and pull the plunger
if you can from that type of keyboard.  Just don't get too drastic...You want
to be able to change the setup if it gets blown away somehow.

Regards,

--
        Richard Meesters        |

        Home Phone:             |        .sig under construction
        (416)321-6982           |
        Mailpath:               |
	....!attcan!tmsoft!nebulus!ram