[comp.terminals] AT&T 5620 questions

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (02/16/90)

I have a couple of questions about the AT&T 5620 terminal:

1.  I tried to upgrade the memory in mine by replacing the 64K ram
    chips the 256K ram chips.  It passes the self test on start up,
    and when I go into cip, cip sees the additional memory (shows
    over 400K free).  However, cip will crash after 10 minutes or
    so.  Tek4014 will crash also.  The errors I get look like the
    following:

    Normal Exception #0x4 at 0x72B379
    Normal Exception #0x2 at 0x0

    Normal exception 4 is "invalid descriptor", which means that
    there was an attempt to execute an instruction with an invalid
    operand.

    Normal exception 2 is "illegal" opcode.

    It seems that memory errors are ocurring.  I've tried replacing
    the 256K chips -- it doesn't seem to make any difference.  The
    256K drams are just standard 150 nanosecond parts.

    Do the dip switches on the processor board need to be changed?
    What are they for, anyway?  Maybe someone who has the "5620
    Dot-Mapped Display General Technical Reference" manual could
    tell me this.

2.  What is the parallel i/o port for?  Did anything actually ever
    use it?
--
			    Jeff Wieland
			wieland@ecn.purdue.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (02/17/90)

In article <19704@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) writes:
>I have a couple of questions about the AT&T 5620 terminal:
>1.  I tried to upgrade the memory in mine by replacing the 64K ram
>    chips the 256K ram chips.
>    It seems that memory errors are ocurring.  I've tried replacing
>    the 256K chips -- it doesn't seem to make any difference.  The
>    256K drams are just standard 150 nanosecond parts.
>    Do the dip switches on the processor board need to be changed?
>    What are they for, anyway?

Somebody ran off with my 5620 shop manual and Teletype upgrade
instruction sheets, so I can't be as precise as I would like to be in
my response.  However, as I recall you also need to replace a timing
chip (maybe a 74LS125?) in the corner of the logic board with a faster
version.  I don't know whether 150ns DRAM is sufficiently fast but
from your symptoms it sounds like it must be.

I don't think the DIP switches are related to RAM configuration, just ROM.
If you upgrade from 8;7;3 to 8;7;5 firmware, the new ROMs have twice as
much data and the DIP switches have to be changed for the terminal to work.

>2.  What is the parallel i/o port for?  Did anything actually ever
>    use it?

I've never heard of any use for it.

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- a slipped disk) (02/18/90)

The official AT&T 1Meg upgrade for 5620's simply has you replace two things

	memory chips with 40256's

	one of the 74xxx chips with a slightly different version.
	(don't remember details; I think the new chip was an LS part)

Ages ago I had someone tell me they simply replaced the memory chips
and everything just worked.

Ages++ ago I tried using the official 1Meg upgrade to upgrade "my" 5620.
Oops..  didn't work.  And we didn't try tracking down what was wrong.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (02/20/90)

In article <14223@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- a slipped disk) writes:
>Ages ago I had someone tell me they simply replaced the memory chips
>and everything just worked.

I think some newer 5620s already had faster timing chips on board,
so that chip didn't need replacement.

>Ages++ ago I tried using the official 1Meg upgrade to upgrade "my" 5620.
>Oops..  didn't work.  And we didn't try tracking down what was wrong.

It worked fine for us, on a couple of dozen 5620s.
Maybe you didn't ground yourself before working with the static-sensitive
chips?