[comp.terminals] VT220 Info Request

turner@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (03/02/90)

How do you set the function keys?  Are they even programmable?

Why don't F11(ESC) F12(BS) and F13(LF) emit what they claim to?

Please don't tell me to RTFM, as I don't have one.  Yep, I've
got those old familiar second hand blues.

steve turner@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

composer@bucsf.bu.edu (Jeff Kellem) (03/02/90)

In article <48400008@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> turner@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
 > Date: 2 Mar 90 10:40:23 GMT
 >
 > Why don't F11(ESC) F12(BS) and F13(LF) emit what they claim to?

They do, but only when the VT220 is set up to emulate a vt52.  This may
also be true when the terminal is set to emulate a vt100.  I would have to
check on that, but you can, too, just as easily.  :-)

				-jeff

Jeff Kellem
INTERNET: composer@cs.bu.edu  (or composer@bu.edu)
UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!composer

rph@sq.sq.com (Pontus Hedman) (03/05/90)

In article <48400008@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> turner@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>How do you set the function keys?  Are they even programmable?

To some degree; see below.

>Why don't F11(ESC) F12(BS) and F13(LF) emit what they claim to?

They do when you're not in VT200 mode.

>Please don't tell me to RTFM, as I don't have one.  Yep, I've
>got those old familiar second hand blues.

Same here, but somewhere sometime, I don't know how, I found out
that you can program the function keys when *shifted*.

Here's an example.  The following sequence makes shift-F6 and shift-F7 send
"hello" and "world" respectively (replace "^[" with ESC):

	^[P1;1|17/68656C6C6F;18/776F726C64^[\

The "17" is for shift-F6 and the hex that follows is the ascii for "hello".
The "18" is for shift-F7 and the hex that follows is the ascii for "world".

Strange terminal, it is. By the way you can also get ESC by pressing
control-3 (the 3 on the top row, not the numeric keypad).  In fact, try
control in combination with the other number on the top row.  Most do
interesting things.
--
Pontus Hedman			rph@sq.com		{uunet|utzoo}!sq!rph