[comp.terminals] proper termcap/terminfo attribute for Unix DEL character?

lwv27@cas.BITNET (07/26/90)

On most Unix systems that I have been on, one can use stty to redefine the
the character which generates a delete signal (known as DEL).  On some
keyboards, there is a key labeled, DEL.  Others, the key is labeled Delete.
On yet others, there is no such key, and folks assign either ^?, ^C, etc.

What I have yet to see is a termcap or terminfo entry to allow the user
to specify to a program what key should be treated as that character.
While the program COULD get it from the stty, I would think that having
an attribute set like that would permit someone to indicate what type
of terminal they had and let tset(1) or a similar program set the
stty attribute for them.

Does anyone know of a common method for doing this type of thing?

Thanks!
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/27/90)

In article <9007261324.AA06152@jade.berkeley.edu> lwv27@cas.BITNET writes:
>On most Unix systems that I have been on, one can use stty to redefine the
>the character which generates a delete signal (known as DEL).

Actually, SIGINT (interrupt).

>On some keyboards, there is a key labeled, DEL.  Others, the key is labeled
>Delete.  On yet others, there is no such key, and folks assign either ^?, ^C,
>etc.

Even on terminals having DEL keys, which virtually all do, people from a DEC
OS heritage often prefer to use CTRL-C as their interrupt-generating keystroke.

>What I have yet to see is a termcap or terminfo entry to allow the user
>to specify to a program what key should be treated as that character.

The reason you don't see it is that it is inappropriate.  Termcap/terminfo
is intended to describe the characteristics of the terminal/printer device,
not the manner in which it "ought" to be used.  The SIGINT input character
is a matter of user preference, and the stty approach is suitable for it.