[comp.terminals] Q for hardware whizzes

goer@quads.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) (08/14/90)

At my wife's office recently they had quite a few Wyse 50
terminals die all at once.  They all displayed similar aberrant
behavior.  They refused to start up properly, merely emitting
a series of rapid beeps when turned on.

If anyone has a clue as to what is going on, I'd sure appreciate
a hint, as one of the carcasses is sitting in our living room,
waiting to be resurrected and used here in our home.

-Richard (goer@sophist.uchicago.edu)

dnl@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (David "IGOR" Latter) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug13.234513.11474@midway.uchicago.edu>, goer@quads.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) writes:
> At my wife's office recently they had quite a few Wyse 50
> terminals die all at once.  They all displayed similar aberrant
> behavior.  They refused to start up properly, merely emitting
> a series of rapid beeps when turned on.
----------------
I once had a wyse 50 stop dead with only a line at the top of the screen
without displaying the fdx etc settings....I had traced it to a certain chip
on the main board....which turned out to be an EEPROM....I rang MPA who deal
with them here and their techo asked if I had reprogrammed the EEPROM..
This was done by holding the "G" key down while turning the terminal on.
It fixed my proplem anyway....It seems to be zapped by static and then needs
to be reset by the main eprom to the orginal default settings, which then
you can change.
A voltage spike possibly could do a few in one hit....
Hope this helps someone.