[comp.terminals] Terminal link to PC

jeff@hummer.iupui.edu (Jeff Levy) (08/14/90)

Hello!  I am wondering if anyone out in terminal land might know about
hooking a terminal through a serial port to their computer.  Let me
explain what I have.  I have an IBM compatible machine with an 8088
processor.  Additionally, I have 640 k of ram memory.  I am attempting
to link through my serial port an ERGO 301FK.  I have the cable, that I
made my self.  It is a straight DB25f - DB25f pins 2 & 3 reversed and
pin 7 straight through.  Using Procomm communications software I am
successful in "talking".  I am able to type on one machine and have it
echo on the other.  However, to me this is not good enough.  I want to
be able to take the ERGO in the other room and word process or even have
access to all my other programs on my hard drive via the terminal.  Does
any one know how to do this?  Have you been successful?

I thought about using the dos command CTTY, however I have been
unseccesful.  If any one is able to help me I would greatly appreciate
it.  Thanks in advance.

Jeff Levy
jeff@hummer.iupui.edu  or  ijef100@indycms.iupui.edu

StG@hummer.iupui.edu (Scott Griepentrog) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug14.122002.4467@hummer.iupui.edu> jeff@hummer.iupui.edu (Jeff Levy) writes:
> I am attempting to link through my serial port an ERGO 301FK.
> ... I am able to type on one machine and have it
> echo on the other.  However, to me this is not good enough.  I want to
> be able to take the ERGO in the other room and word process or even have
> access to all my other programs on my hard drive via the terminal.  Does
> any one know how to do this?  Have you been successful?

My first thought on this is: forget it.  At best, you're only going to
be able to run a few programs, even with special software on the PC to
drive your terminal.  Any PC programs doing graphics, for instance,
won't work.  Doing this sort of thing is a neat idea, often attempted,
but it really doesn't work with the way MSDOS stuff is written.  In
other OS's it is possible, but not MSDOS.

I'm not familiar with your ERGO terminal, but if it has a ANSI/PC mode
much like the Wy60 does, you have a chance to at least run text-oriented
software.  The terminal sends the PC keyboard up/down codes, and
receives and displays using ANSI.  It requires a specially written
driver program on the PC to output ANSI and feed in the keyboard
signals.  Limited, but it works.

If you really want another display/keyboard in another room, get one of
those monitor/keyboard switch/extension things they sell.  Heck, just
pick it up and carry it.

StG