[comp.terminals] Epson LQ-510 problem

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (09/15/90)

Okay.  This isn't a terminal, but it isn't a laser printer either.
This is the closest group I could find since we don't seem to have
comp.printers.

At any rate, the Epson LQ-510 has something called outline and shadow
character styles which are selected with <ESC>q[1-3], for outline,
shadow or both.  The problem is none of these commands do anything.
Dump mode shows they get to the printer but they don't turn on the
mode.

I suspect something in my dip switch set-up may be causing the problem
but I don't know and I don't even know where to start looking.  The
manual has nothing to say on the subject.  Every other command I have
tried seems to work except these.  Can anybody help?

I have the printer hanging on the printer port of a Wyse 60.  The printer
has all dip switches set to the factory default.  Baffling.
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep15.041022.27756@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>Okay.  This isn't a terminal, but it isn't a laser printer either.
>This is the closest group I could find since we don't seem to have
>comp.printers.

It's comp.periphs.printers I think.

>At any rate, the Epson LQ-510 has something called outline and shadow
>character styles which are selected with <ESC>q[1-3], for outline,
>shadow or both.  The problem is none of these commands do anything.
>Dump mode shows they get to the printer but they don't turn on the
>mode.

Ahhh...I thought I was the only one that has this problem with
Epson printers. It seems that my LQ-1050 behaves the same way and
also refuses to set the form length as well.

Needless to say Epson will *not* sell me another printer for
my Unix box. After many hours working on this problem and verifying
that the esc sequences are indeed reaching the printer, I have
come to the conclusion that this is indeed a bug.

If any further discussion is warranted please move to
group mentioned above.

>I suspect something in my dip switch set-up may be causing the problem
>but I don't know and I don't even know where to start looking.  The
>manual has nothing to say on the subject.  Every other command I have

Another Epson shortcoming is their docs.

>tried seems to work except these.  Can anybody help?

Sorry, I can only empathize. Previous posts by me were fruitless.

--
uucp: holston!barton
pseudo: barton@holston.UUCP