[comp.terminals] Help! Using VT100 on IBM mainframe

das@voodoo.voodoo.uucp (Deb Schwartz) (09/22/90)

I am trying to use a VT100 compatible to access our IBM mainframe, and
although it does work, the only function keys the IBM recognizes are
the 4 PF keys.  Does anyone know of any key combinations that the IBM
would recognize as PF keys 5 through 12?  My terminal came with no
documentation.

Thanks,

Debbie Schwartz                              (206) 865-6558 (wk)
Boeing Computer Services     ....uunet!bcstec!voodoo!das  or  das@voodoo.UUCP
M/S 7k-20,     P.O. Box 24346,      Seattle, WA    98124-0346
*** Boeing only owns the programming part of my brain: the rest is all mine. ***

cs481121@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs481121) (09/23/90)

In article <310@voodoo.UUCP> das@voodoo.voodoo.uucp (Deb Schwartz) writes:
>I am trying to use a VT100 compatible to access our IBM mainframe, and
>although it does work, the only function keys the IBM recognizes are
>the 4 PF keys.  Does anyone know of any key combinations that the IBM
>would recognize as PF keys 5 through 12?  My terminal came with no
>documentation.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Debbie Schwartz                              (206) 865-6558 (wk)
>Boeing Computer Services     ....uunet!bcstec!voodoo!das  or  das@voodoo.UUCP
>M/S 7k-20,     P.O. Box 24346,      Seattle, WA    98124-0346
>*** Boeing only owns the programming part of my brain: the rest is all mine. ***
I'm not sure if this will work, but these are the keys I use on a true
VT-100 terminal when I access our IBM mainframe.

PFK1 -- <ESC><ESC>1  (Hit ESC twice, then 1 on top row of keyboard)
PFK2 -- <ESC><ESC>2
       .
       .
       .
PFK10 - <ESC><ESC>0
PFK11 - <ESC><ESC>-
PFK12 - <ESC><ESC>=

  Mike Reese -- University of Maryland Baltimore County

  Please send mail to:  ARPANET - MZR@DETRICK-HSC.ARMY.MIL (26.6.0.54)
                                  REESEM@ILCN-DETRICK.ARPA (26.5.0.54)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/23/90)

In article <310@voodoo.UUCP> das@voodoo.voodoo.uucp (Deb Schwartz) writes:
-I am trying to use a VT100 compatible to access our IBM mainframe, and
-although it does work, the only function keys the IBM recognizes are
-the 4 PF keys.  Does anyone know of any key combinations that the IBM
-would recognize as PF keys 5 through 12?  My terminal came with no
-documentation.

? A genuine VT100 has only 4 PF keys.

frank@urz.unibas.ch (09/24/90)

In article <13925@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <310@voodoo.UUCP> das@voodoo.voodoo.uucp (Deb Schwartz) writes:
> -I am trying to use a VT100 compatible to access our IBM mainframe, and
> -although it does work, the only function keys the IBM recognizes are
> -the 4 PF keys.  Does anyone know of any key combinations that the IBM
> -would recognize as PF keys 5 through 12?  My terminal came with no
> -documentation.
>
> ? A genuine VT100 has only 4 PF keys.

Yes, but: normally the "IBM to VTxx"frontend" will use the numeric keypad as
the other function keys. Check to see if the keypad is set up as  application
and try some of them to see if they respond as the function keys 5 through 12
on the IBM terminal. The IBM software should switch the terminal into
application mode, if not, you can try it manually:
go into setup and switch to local mode (key 4 I think) exit setup
enter: ESC =   (without the spaces)
got into setup and go back online

Do this AFTER login (and possibly after starting a program).