[comp.terminals] WY-185

gr1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Greg Howard Rhodes) (09/30/90)

Well, I just bought a WY-185 from WYSE and I am having some minor problems
with it...

The first of which is that the primary gnu-emacs command for doing a search
is control-S. Unfortunately, pressing control-s makes the terminal go into
"hold" mode...is there a way to disable this?

Second, is there a termcap for a VT-320, so I can really take advantage of
my VT-320 compatibility?

Third, again a little thing with gnu-emacs. I want to send a Meta-V, so I
changed my "compose character" key to a "meta" key...unfortunately, is does
not seem to have any effect (seems to be the same as if I was not pressing
meta...) Any suggestions?

Fourth...and this isn't really a terminal question, but I'm using a Hayes
SmartModem 2400, without a manual...and I want to do the following:
      a) turn down the volume
      b) stop auto-answer
      c) make these features default...

Thanks for your help in advance...

Greg Rhodes (gr1c@andrew.cmu.edu)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/01/90)

In article <Yb1OKye00awWA_0F9z@andrew.cmu.edu> gr1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Greg Howard Rhodes) writes:
>The first of which is that the primary gnu-emacs command for doing a search
>is control-S. Unfortunately, pressing control-s makes the terminal go into
>"hold" mode...is there a way to disable this?

This is a standard problem, due entirely to a conflict between the idea
that Stallman has about what terminals "should" do versus what many
terminals ACTUALLY are like.  A large number of terminals require that
DC3/DC1 (XOFF/XON, ^S/^Q) flow control be supported by the host in order
that they not lose incoming information due to getting behind the rate
of flow of data while performing lengthy operations such as scrolling.
DEC's VT100 is perhaps the classical example of this.  Thus, it would be
folly to assume that these in-band flow control characters are available
for other purposes, such as "search-forward" commands.  Unfortunately,
that is exactly what Stallman assumed and thus the default bindings for
GNU EMACS assign ^S (DC3) as a user-typed "search-forward" command.  The
best resolution is to rebind the search command to something else (I use
^\ (FS)), and similarly for ^Q.  Further, you have to persuade the text
editor to allow DC3/DC1 to be used for control-flow purposes.  If the
editor is properly designed, it will honor any control-flow characters
that you had established in the UNIX terminal handler before invoking
the editor.  Normally, one sets these "stty" parameters to DC3/DC1 in
his .profile.  You can do that for all terminal types, which is better
than having to retrain your fingers as you move among different types of
terminal.