[comp.terminals] Any experiences with the Wyse 160?

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (10/27/90)

I've been seeing the slick ads which boast much but say little about
this beast. I've heard tons of rumours, that it's faster than the 60,
does Hercules graphics (HOW?), has a larger command set, etc.

Can someone kindly cut the (marketing) crap and briefly describe the
real differences between the 60 and 160? Does the 160 have a parallel
printer port like the 150 or serial like the 60? Is production of the 60
being stopped? Are the new boxes any more reliable? And, of course, what
is the price difference?

Thanks.

--
Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / moderator, rec.arts.erotica

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (10/28/90)

In article <2728E15B.21D@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>I've been seeing the slick ads which boast much but say little about
>this beast. I've heard tons of rumours, that it's faster than the 60,
>does Hercules graphics (HOW?), has a larger command set, etc.
>Can someone kindly cut the (marketing) crap and briefly describe the
>real differences between the 60 and 160? Does the 160 have a parallel
>printer port like the 150 or serial like the 60? Is production of the 60
>being stopped? Are the new boxes any more reliable? And, of course, what
>is the price difference?
>Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
>evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / moderator, rec.arts.erotica

1. I am using a Wyse 160 as we speak.
2. Yes, it is faster, and runs reliably at 38.4 and above on
   a CompuTone AT8 Intelliport.
3. It does have a parallel port like the Wyse 150, and also has
   two serial ports for two host connections at a time.
4. Price difference is not bad at all considering the functions.
   IMHO.  Your mileage may vary.

Bottom line, is that they are nice terminals.  Too early to comment
on long-term reliabilty, but so far great.

We have also used under PC-MOS/386 in PC-TERM mode and it does support
limited graphics really well.