[comp.terminals] IBM mainframes and VT100's

sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) (10/31/90)

	I am trying to TELNET to an IBM mainframe with a terminal program that
is (as far as I can tell) completely VT100 compatible.  I am using a program
called TN3270 which is supposed to tell the IBM what codes to send and what
keys to use so I can emulate a 3270 terminal.  The problem is the IBM says it
has no keymap for a VT100 and when the screen fills with information the IBM
puts "MORE .." in the lower right corner of the screen and I cannot go on from
there.  Does anyone know what key and what ASCII codes the 3270 terminal uses
to go on?  I think it is a CLEAR button, but I'm not sure.
          ___  __
   /|   /|    /  \			Gallent Knight of a rather
  / |  / |   /				large, squarish table someplace
 /  | /  |--<        SirOtto		in the West Panhandle of Florida.
/   |/   |___\____/

jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) (11/01/90)

In article <0093EFD9.9BCCD320@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU> sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) writes:
>called TN3270 which is supposed to tell the IBM what codes to send and what
>keys to use so I can emulate a 3270 terminal.  The problem is the IBM says it
>has no keymap for a VT100 and when the screen fills with information the IBM

RTFM!  tn3270, NOT IBM, is checking your TERM environment variable against
the list of terminals it knows about.  This list is in map3270.  In my
version the vt100 IS listed.  If indeed the map3270 file is missing or
defective, you'll need to find your Unix sysadmin, or build your own version.

--James
--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@k5arh

sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) (11/01/90)

In article <17667@rouge.usl.edu>, jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) writes:
>In article <0093EFD9.9BCCD320@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU> sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) writes:
>>called TN3270 which is supposed to tell the IBM what codes to send and what
>>keys to use so I can emulate a 3270 terminal.  The problem is the IBM says it
>>has no keymap for a VT100 and when the screen fills with information the IBM
>
>RTFM!  tn3270, NOT IBM, is checking your TERM environment variable against
>the list of terminals it knows about.  This list is in map3270.  In my
>version the vt100 IS listed.  If indeed the map3270 file is missing or
>defective, you'll need to find your Unix sysadmin, or build your own version.

Oops.  I stand corrected.  I am a VMS person and didn't recognize the UNIX
pathname.  As it turns out, the map3270 file does have the map for the VT100,
just under the name VT100, not DEC-VT100.  My problem was easily solved by
using the SET command to change the value of TERM to VT100.  Thanx!!
          ___  __