[comp.terminals] CIT 101

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (11/16/90)

I have a CIT 101 terminal apparently made by C. ITOH Electronics..
It is several years old.. It is a vt100 clone.. Looks EXACTLY like the
original digital vt100 but has a nicer feel to the keyboard and a different
color.  My problem is this.  When I turn it on and it goes through the
regular error checking stuff it finally goes BEEEEEEEEEEEP (too long)
and then stops and says.
CHECKSUM ERROR ON NVR OO
My question is.. Does anyone know what has fried inside?  IT will still work
but some of the setting s in the SETUP menu are different after it does this.
And I also noticed that the CLR/HOME button is now dead.. And finally, the
fourth light on the keyboard (the lights over 6 7 and 8 )  comes on and
stays on.  Can anyone help me with this little nasty.?
I really can't afford to buy a new term.. Please send mail to my account
at frechett@snoopy.colorado.edu as I may not always read this group.
Thanks..
      ian
--
-=Runaway Daemon=-

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/16/90)

In article <29840@boulder.Colorado.EDU> frechett@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:
>CHECKSUM ERROR ON NVR OO

NVR is Non-Volatile RAM, and is where the set-up settings are stored.
It is typically backed up by a rechargeable battery, which can quit
retaining a charge after a few years (and should then be replaced).
Whenever you save set-up options it should also store a correct new
checksum.  In a case of desperation try resetting to factory default
(there is some simple way to do that but I don't have the manual).

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (11/18/90)

In article <14491@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
-)In article <29840@boulder.Colorado.EDU> frechett@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:
-)>CHECKSUM ERROR ON NVR OO
-)
-)NVR is Non-Volatile RAM, and is where the set-up settings are stored.
-)It is typically backed up by a rechargeable battery, which can quit
-)retaining a charge after a few years (and should then be replaced).
-)Whenever you save set-up options it should also store a correct new
-)checksum.  In a case of desperation try resetting to factory default
-)(there is some simple way to do that but I don't have the manual).

Thank you very much.. A couple things though.. Where the hell is that little
battery?  I had no idea that it had this. And I would LOVE to be able to store
settings.  Would you believe that I redo my setting everytime I turn the
terminal on.. I had no idea that they could be saved.  I got the terminal
second hand without any form of documentation whatsoever.  It is a nice term
and I would like to figure out what I can do about this problem.. I could
use some help from anyone that might have a manual for this term and can
tell me how to
save settings
reset settings to factory's
and tell me where the batter is.. I have been running with the top off for
quite a while and I don't see anything that looks like a battery.. hmmm

	ian
--
-=Runaway Daemon=-

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (11/18/90)

Hmmm after I posted the last message I tore apart my terminal.. Seeing as how I
am posting again, I obviously got it back together, BUT I can find nothing
whatsoever that looks like a battery.  I looked on the main board and I pulled
out the whole power supply section.  Besides a shitload of caps there doesn't
appear to be any voltage source other than AC in this machine.  Soooo, how does
it work?  NVR = (non-volitile RAM) makes sence but doesn't seem to be helping.
hmmmmm

	ian
--
-=Runaway Daemon=-

slh@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) (11/19/90)

In article <29949@boulder.Colorado.EDU> frechett@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:
|out the whole power supply section.  Besides a shitload of caps there doesn't
|appear to be any voltage source other than AC in this machine.  Soooo, how does
|it work?  NVR = (non-volitile RAM) makes sence but doesn't seem to be helping.
|hmmmmm

	I think that's non-volatile, as in you don't need batteries.

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (11/19/90)

In article <13779@june.cs.washington.edu> slh@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) writes:
-)In article <29949@boulder.Colorado.EDU> frechett@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:
-)|out the whole power supply section.  Besides a shitload of caps there doesn't
-)|appear to be any voltage source other than AC in this machine.  Soooo, how does
-)|it work?  NVR = (non-volitile RAM) makes sence but doesn't seem to be helping.
-)|hmmmmm
-)|
-)	I think that's non-volatile, as in you don't need batteries.

Ok.. That makes sense too.  Too bad I am not up on my RAM ;).. OK, next
question, what chip do I need to rip out and replace if I have a true problem
here... OR I need to know how to change the NVR.  It is possible that there is
just some reset sequence that will wipe it clean, in which case I would be
sufficiently happy.  Anything?

	ian

--
-=Runaway Daemon=-

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (11/20/90)

Ok.. Well I got some hopefully good advice from someone.. BUT I need to mail
him back and my mailer can't find his address or even the relay that he uses..
Sooo. Conrad (...!ukc!axion!tharr!conrad), do you know of some other address
that I might be able to reach you at?  I can't get it to send through relay
because it can't find that either.. I would like to discuss the possible CIT101
manual that you might have.. thanks.

	ian
--
-=Runaway Daemon=-

maddog@athena.mit.edu (Matthew J Marjanovic) (11/20/90)

In article <13779@june.cs.washington.edu>, slh@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) writes:
|> In article <29949@boulder.Colorado.EDU> frechett@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:
|> |out the whole power supply section.  Besides a shitload of caps there doesn't
|> |appear to be any voltage source other than AC in this machine.  Soooo, how does
|> |it work?  NVR = (non-volitile RAM) makes sence but doesn't seem to be helping.
|> |hmmmmm
|> |
|> 	I think that's non-volatile, as in you don't need batteries.

I've got an old vt100 clone (with a manual!) and it, too, has some NVR for
  saving the set-up settings.  The NVR is some kind of programmable ROM with
  a limited number of erase/program cycles.  The manual warns that since the
  the NVR can only be written to 10^5 times or so, the user should not put
  the terminal into a repetitive NVR test mode (which erases and rewrites the
  NVR over and over and over again.)

So, if you're still getting an NVR error now, even after saving new set-up
  settings (Have you done this?  Cntrl-s does it on my terminal.) then chances
  are that your NVR has been used up, one way or another.

This shouldn't hurt the terminal, except for making it a pain to start up.
  Maybe the NVR can be replaced, if that is the problem.

Matt Marjanovic          | "He who has never envied the vegetable,
maddog@athena.mit.edu    |    has missed the human drama."

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.204656.26846@athena.mit.edu> maddog@athena.mit.edu (Matthew J Marjanovic) writes:
>So, if you're still getting an NVR error now, even after saving new set-up
>  settings (Have you done this?  Cntrl-s does it on my terminal.) then ...

SHIFT-S on a real VT100.

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (11/20/90)

Thank you people.. esp.  conrad.. The problem with my terminal has been
fixed and I learned something about vt100 terminals in the process.  For the
last year I have been turning on my terminal and then going through this little
routine where I set all the necessary settings so that my terminal will talk to
my modem and my UNIX.  Guess what.. the NVR will hold all those settings as
someone suggested.  Apparently, there was a glitch in the NVR and it lost a bit
of stability and wasn't happy.  A kind person, finally mentioned that the vt100
settings could be reset to factory specs with the SHIFT-D keystroke in the
SETUP menu.  The settings can also be saved in NVR with the SHIFT-S keystroke
and reset with SHIFT-R.  Well I tryed it on the CIT101 and of course it didn't
work BUT control-SHIFT-D -S and -R work.  GREAT!!!!!  My settings are all saved
now and I am not getting any errors.. Sheesh.. what will I do now?  ;)  Maybe
it would be nice to get a hold of a manual for the CIT 101.  Ah.. such fun.

	ian
--
-=Runaway Daemon=-