[comp.terminals] What is a termcap entry?

sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) (12/07/90)

That probably looked like a stupid question, but I am new to the mainframe
world . . .  Stop me if I'm wrong, but from what I have been able to gather, a
termcap lets the mainframe know how to do things like clear the screen and how
to interperate the cursor and function keys, right?

If that was right, does that mean that if I had the termcap for a TEK 4014, I
would be able to use one?  Does the fact that I am on a VAX running VMS change
things?

If this is something everyone else knows already, you can email me answers...
           ___  __
|\   |\   |    /  \			Gallant Knight of a rather
| \  | \  |   /				large, squarish table someplace
|  \ |  \ |--<	      SirOtto		in the West Panhandle of Florida.
|   \|   \|___\____/

Michael E. Cerrato	Internet: SIROTTO%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
University of Florida

skum@eng.umd.edu (Allon Stern) (12/10/90)

In article <00940C73.E7A06D00@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU> sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) writes:
[Basically correct definition of TermCap]

>If that was right, does that mean that if I had the termcap for a TEK 4014, I
>would be able to use one?  Does the fact that I am on a VAX running VMS change
>things?

Yes, it sure does...
Termcap files are a unix thing...under VMS, there is a similar file
(forgot the name, but you can read about it in the SMG$ section of
the VMS Library/system services manual) but I haven't heard of
anybody successfully getting things like EDT and the like to work
with their new terminal definitions...oh, I think the file is
called TERMDEF.somthing_or_other and should be located in a
directory like sys$system, or sys$library.

>Michael E. Cerrato	Internet: SIROTTO%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
>University of Florida

| Allon Stern        | (301)405-4864 [work]  |  Ring around the Internet      |
| skum@bessel.umd.edu| (301)314-4080 [dorm]  |  A packet with a bit not set   |
| Unix weirdo in training. Handle with care. |  We all go down!               |