[comp.terminals] WYSE-85 terminal

oldman@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Prakash Das) (02/19/91)

In article <44255@ut-emx.uucp> dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David Boles) writes:
>HELP !!!
>
>I just got a terminal ( a WYSE 85 ) and am having a great deal
>of difficulty with it.  When I picked it up the guy plugged
>it in to verify that it worked.  Then I thought that he pressed
>Ctrl-(F3/Set-Up/Reset) to get the setup menu.  When I do that,
>nothing happens.

This might help. I got a WYSE-50 terminal working a couple of days
back. To get the set-up menu on my terminal, I press "SHIFT" with
"SET UP", not <Ctrl-Set.up>. This displays the menu at the bottom
of the screen as different "Field Levels". The field levels are
simply the various options. For example, "Field Level 1" has the
following with default choices: Handshake=none, Screen=80,
Cursor=block, Mode=FDX.

Field Level 2:
 	Data Bit=8, Stop Bit=1, Parity Bit=None, Modem Port Baud
Rate=9600

Field Level 3:
	Blk End=US/CR, Auto NL=On, CR=CR, Auto Scrl=On, Aux Baud
R=9600
(Note: Blk End means "End of block coding", the rest easy to figure
out)

Field Level 4:
	Scrl=Jump, Status=On, S.Saver=Off, Prot=Dim, Test=Off
(Status displays the message field at the top of the screen,
S.Saver is "Screen Saver Feature", Prot is "Protect Attribute",
Test is "Diagnostic self test (requires jumpers)"

Field Level 5:
	Keys?=US?UK, Ret/Enter=CR/CR, Compatible Mode=WY50,
Enhance=Off
(Enhance is "WY-50 code enhancement (for the HZ-1500 and ADDS-VP
emulations)).

>I have a 9600 baud
>modem hooked to it and can't get the terminal to send any characters
>to the modem.

All you need to do is set up the Handshake, Mode, Data Bit, Stop
Bit, Parity Bit and Baud Rate that you require. Try playing around
with the options, I got mine working that way and I had the quick
reference guide to help me.

---
Prakash Das
<oldman@eleazar.dartmouth.edu>