	From mcgill-vision!mouse Sat Nov 30 15:39:41 1985
	From: mcgill-vision!mouse (der Mouse)
	Newsgroups: net.unix,net.unix-wizards
	Subject: Re: 4.2 on 8600 (repeat)
	Date: 30 Nov 85 03:30:16 GMT

	> Ultrix-32 runs on the 8600. It runs like the
	> proverbial "bat out of ...". Contact your DEC salesperson for further
	> information.
	(do I recall something about advertising being verboten?)
	>							Ricky Palmer
	>							DEC
	>							Ultrix Group
	>							rsp@decvax

	I wasn't  able to find the original article for  this, but from
	the subject  line, I assume someone  asked  whether  4.2  ran
	on the  8600.  ULTRIX IS NOT 4.2.  IF THEY ASK FOR 4.2,  DON'T
	ASSUME A CLOSE LOOKALIKE WILL DO!!  Functionally, from the user
	level, it's very close,  granted.  BUT....  When  we had a
	uVAXII here  for  evaluation it had  Ultrix, and when I wanted
	to put  in the  /dev/std{in,out,err}  driver and  the load
	average  syscall  and  the other  kernel  hacks, guess what I
	found?  No kernel  source!  UNIX source comes with it  (for
	universities).   Ultrix source costs an obscene amount (we
	looked  into  getting it).   And UNIX without  source is pretty
	pointless (for us; for example, we  had a grad student here
	whose thesis  work  would  have been  completely impossible
	without  the  kernel  source).   Guess what  we'll  be  doing
	with  our microvaxen!  Right, running 4.3 (if they have it by
	that time) or moving 4.2 (otherwise).  With UNIX  source, when
	you find a  bug,  you fix  it.  The  fix is available within  a
	few  hours, or days for the  tough ones.  With a vendor system
	like Ultrix, you send in an SPR and hope they deign to pay
	attention to it.   Even  when they  do, you're lucky  if  it
	gets back, with or without a fix, within a month.

	Sorry for such a long and heated posting, but this sort of
	attitude "whaddya  want  4.2 for when you  can have Ultrix for
	1000% more" really gets to me.
	--
						der Mouse

	USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
	     philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
	Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
	        mcvax!seismo!cmcl2!philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse

	Hacker: One who accidentally destroys /
	Wizard: One who recovers it afterward

Ultrix *is* 4.2 with a fair amount of work by DEC UNIX Engineering
Group.  Ultrix is not a look alike!  It is modified 4.2.  There is even
about to be some of the internal improvements from 4.3BSD.  Just
because some (re)distribution of UNIX does not include source does not
mean that it isn't UNIX (is 4.2 UNIX? as the question goes???).  There
in fact should be enough stuff distributed with Ultrix so that you can
add a driver painlessly (assumming that you require no hacks in other
parts of the kernel, because there are no sources!).  Further, many of
the tables and hard coded constants have been removed from the original
source modules and placed in modules that are shipped as sources so
that you (the customer) can get at them.

Ultrix is not really good for academic environment where students will
be doing thesis work on operating systems or other computer science
activities that involve modifying existing programs.  It is better
suited to places that have less experience with UNIX or for places that
would prefer not to maintain the staff necessary to keep up an
operating system.

As for SPR's and service: that is the primary motiviation for some
commercial organization to get Ultrix rather than 4.2 from Berkeley.
This is not to say that that which comes from Berkeley is substandard
or not useful.  In fact, DEC would have based its products on System
III (and then V) if 4BSD were not up to the tasks at hand.  However,
Berkeley is not in the business of *supporting* 4BSD for every
organization that wants to run (or now runs) their release.  DEC *is*
in this business (please no flames ...).  Realize that there is a
seperate group within DEC with a charter to measure how quickly SPR
answers are turned around to the customer.

I do not believe that the attitude of myself or members of UEG is
one of "whaddya [you] want 4.2 when you can have Ultrix".  I
think that you might not have had a very clear understanding of
what Ultrix is and how it would or would not fit *your* situation.

I don't feel sorry for people who complain that /bin/ed is not
a good full screen editor.

			Armando Stettner

george@cornell.UUCP (George R. Boyce) (12/06/85)

In article <1554@decwrl.UUCP> aps@decwrl.UUCP (Armando P. Stettner) writes:
>Hi.
>Regarding the news comment by der Mouse on whether or not Ultrix
>is 4.2 or not:

>Ultrix is not really good for academic environment where students will
>be doing thesis work on operating systems or other computer science
>activities that involve modifying existing programs.  It is better
>suited to places that have less experience with UNIX or for places that
>would prefer not to maintain the staff necessary to keep up an
>operating system.

>			Armando Stettner

Ok, I give. Does someone care to support or attack this thesis? Since
my job is to support an academic computing environment, The above
statement strikes close to home. I can get kernel sources cheaply if
I need them so that isn't the basis. Everything I've tried to port
from BSD4.2 seems to either run or recompile and run just fine. And that
does include all the "missing" BSD4.2 programs; I'll be asking Digital
at DECUS to explain just why some of the programs were left out. Like
'finger' and 'man'... Sigh. Anyway, just *why* is it that Ultrix is
bad for supporting computing in, say, a computer science department??

I'm not going to touch the line about support staff...

George Boyce
Academic Computing, Cornell Computing Services
george@cornell.arpa, george@gvax.cs.cornell.edu, george@crnlcs.bitnet

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/07/85)

In article <1441@cornell.UUCP>, george@cornell.UUCP (George R. Boyce) writes:
> ... Anyway, just *why* is it that Ultrix is bad for supporting computing
> in, say, a computer science department??

It is fine for such an environment.  Sometimes a customer will ask me
why they should get Ultrix-32 rather than pay less and get 4.2BSD.  I
tell them that Ultrix-32 is more than just 4.2BSD.  It is a commercial
product.  Some things have been added and some have been fixed.  Also,
one can get updates, bug fixes, and access to Digital'support force
including a 24 hour hotline, an Ultrix Dispatch, automatic reporting
and tracking of SPRs, etc. (And if you are having trouble with any of
the above-mentioned services *and you have paid for them* you should
raise a stink!)

But, and this is what I think Armando was getting at, if you have no
use for any of that, if you do all your own support, if your goal is
to make massive changes to the kernel (essentially voiding the
warrantee) then you might do better to go with a non-commercial
product.  No commercial OS product that I know of is set up to allow
the customer to make changes to it and stil be supported by the
company.

Well, anyway, it's one man's opinion.  In other words in no official
capacity...
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center    {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio

grr@unirot.UUCP (George Robbins) (12/08/85)

In article <1441@cornell.UUCP> george@cornell.UUCP (George R. Boyce) writes:
>In article <1554@decwrl.UUCP> aps@decwrl.UUCP (Armando P. Stettner) writes:
>>Regarding the news comment by der Mouse on whether or not Ultrix
[discussion of ultrix vs BSD]
[conclusion: ultrix not for academe]
>Ok, I give. Does someone care to support or attack this thesis? Since
>my job is to support an academic computing environment, The above
>statement strikes close to home. I can get kernel sources cheaply if
>I need them so that isn't the basis. Everything I've tried to port
>from BSD4.2 seems to either run or recompile and run just fine. And that
>does include all the "missing" BSD4.2 programs.
>George Boyce	Academic Computing, Cornell Computing Services

From the view point of a person trying to use the system, Ultrix is BSD, the
major difference is in packaging.

Ultrix is packaged for people who want to *use* unix, and provides a single
source for machine, software and support.

BSD is packaged for people who want to do things *to* unix, and who are capable
and/or have the time to put all the pieces together and do their own support.

There are some intermediate levels, organizations that offer a prepared release
of BSD, or like Mt. Xinu who offer support for a price.

The problem with your mix and match solution is that you get stuck in the loop.
You have to find the things that don't match up and load up a bunch of sources
that don't really correspond to what you are running.  With BSD, the stuff is
there and you just grant access to appropriate groups.  Do you want to be
involved every time a person wants to see how, say, egrep works?  At 10:00 PM?

My feeling is that anyone who can get a source license for the system they are
actually running, and doesn't had better crawl under the bit bucket and hide!
--
George Robbins			uucp:	{unirot|tapa}!grr
P.O. Box 177

campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (12/08/85)

> ...But, and this is what I think Armando was getting at, if you have no
> use for any of that, if you do all your own support, if your goal is
> to make massive changes to the kernel (essentially voiding the
> warrantee) then you might do better to go with a non-commercial
> product.  No commercial OS product that I know of is set up to allow
> the customer to make changes to it and stil be supported by the
> company.
> --
> Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center    {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio

Well, maybe this is ancient history, and the product is nearing the end
of its life, but TOPS-10, DEC's timesharing system for its largest machines
(PDP-10s) was ALWAYS shipped in source form.  There was no binary-only
distribution.  And the stuff was supported too (although if you wanted
a bug report taken seriously, you had to be able to reproduce it on
a vanilla system).
--
Larry Campbell                                 The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: maynard.UUCP:campbell@harvard.ARPA       120 Fulton Street

Key:
>>>	[ Ricky Palmer / DEC / Ultrix Group / rsp@decvax ]
>>	[ me, see .signature for address ]
>	[ aps@decwrl.UUCP (Armando P. Stettner) ]

> Regarding the news comment by der Mouse on whether or not Ultrix
> is 4.2 or not:
>>> Ultrix-32 runs on the 8600. It runs like the
>>> proverbial "bat out of ...". Contact your DEC salesperson for further
>>> information.
>> (do I recall something about advertising being verboten?)
>> [ my--uh--flame?--to the effect that Ultrix is not 4.2 omitted ]

     First  off:    I feel I must apologize to Ricky Palmer  (and to the
Ultrix group in  general I suppose) for the uncalled-for virulence of my
posting.    He really  didn't deserve it (well, maybe *he* did, but  his
posting certainly didn't).  I realized this about a day later, after I'd
cooled down and the article  had made  its way out  onto the net.  And I
didn't know how to cancel an article (still don't, anyone out there want
to enlighten me?)

> Ultrix *is* 4.2 with a fair amount of work by DEC [ ... ]

     If you did a fair amount of work  on it then it  is not 4.2, it  is
*modified* 4.2 (as you yourself say a sentence or two later).

> There
> in fact should be enough stuff distributed with Ultrix so that you can
> add a driver painlessly (assumming that you require no hacks in other
> parts of the kernel, because there are no sources!).

     My main complaint (read my original).  We *do* require other kernel
hacks, notably in  trap.c (kernel_user traps,  so errors in kernel  mode
can be made to signal a user process instead of panic()ing) and locore.s
(so we  could  grow the cmap  struct for  memory mapping--no sysV flames
please!).

> Further, many of
> the tables and hard coded constants have been removed from the original
> source modules and placed in modules that are shipped as sources so
> that you (the customer) can get at them.

     At least you tried.

> [ a paragraph and a half about how Ultrix is for business and BSD for
>   academia ]

     Exactly.  I forget sometimes there is a real world out there.

> Realize that there is a
> seperate group within DEC with a charter to measure how quickly SPR
> answers are turned around to the customer.

     Well, we have some outstanding VMS SPRs which are a year or two old
(yes we do run VMS on one machine; a historical artifact)....  Maybe the
rest of the company needs to look at their measurements?  (:-)

> I do not believe that the attitude of myself or members of UEG is
> one of "whaddya [you] want 4.2 when you can have Ultrix".  I
> think that you might not have had a very clear understanding of
> what Ultrix is and how it would or would not fit *your* situation.

     I  didn't  say this  was  your  attitude,  or  even  the prevailing
attitude at DEC; that was what I saw at the time in Palmer's posting.  I
think  maybe I do  have  an  idea of  how Ultrix would or would not [the
latter]  fit our situation; we had  a uVAXII with Ultrix on  it here for
evaluation, so I have some sort of idea what Ultrix is like.

> I don't feel sorry for people who complain that /bin/ed is not
> a good full screen editor.

     Point taken, though I feel it isn't quite that extreme; Ultrix does
make some sort of claim to being 4.2bsd [/bin/ed doesn't pretend to be a
full screen editor].  I will try to remember to cool down before posting
in the future.
--

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (12/09/85)

In article <722@decuac.UUCP> avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>But, and this is what I think Armando was getting at, if you have no
>use for any of that, if you do all your own support, if your goal is
>to make massive changes to the kernel (essentially voiding the
>warrantee) then you might do better to go with a non-commercial
>product.

What operating system ever came with a warranty?  Does DEC
sell an operating system with any sort of warranty of
correct operation?
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

wedgingt@udenva.UUCP (Will Edgington/Ejeo) (12/17/85)

  I'm not sure I want to get involved in this mess, but I felt I ought to, due
to the fact that we run VMS (4.2), Ultrix 1.0, *and* BSD 4.2 (not to mention
BSD 2.9) here.  We have source only for BSD; Ultrix didn't come with source
(at least not at a decent price) when we got it.  All three are on VAX
11/750's, though we also have a 780 (VMS).  I am one of the two staff people
here that does major work maintaining and upgrading the Unix (& Ultrix)
machines.  We have full field support only for VMS, though we do have full
*hardware* support on the Unix/Ultrix machines; software support was felt to
be too expensive (both before I was hired and now; I have little to do with
such decisions).
  First, hardware failures are at least as common as 'system crash'-type
software failures are.  Nearly all our disks are ra81s and ra80s; they have
been at the root of all hardware failures under BSD *or* Ultrix in the year
I've worked here.
  Second, the two major software failures under BSD:  one was indirectly due
to the large disks (sign extension); the second was due to an incorrect (at
least, to *our* kernel) bugfix from this network.  Other major 4.2 bugs have
either already been fixed, don't apply to our system, or haven't shown up
here yet and we haven't ever seen them.  Ultrix won't have these partly because
we don't have source and partly because DEC has learned from 4.2's failures
and fixed them already.
  Third, the major device driver changes:  we recently installed ethernet
(DEUNAs) between all the VAXes (even VMS, though they don't have TCP/IP yet).
Ultrix already had the driver (of course); I just had to reconfigure the system
and do the make.  For the BSD machine, I got a copy of Lou Salkind's driver
(from 'der Mouse', as a matter of fact), reconfigured and did the make.
Again, the major difference was due to the fact that Ultrix could take
advantage of the time difference:  it was written later.  At about the same
time, we added a System Industries tri-density (800, 1600, and 6250 bpi) tape
drive (dual ported to the BSD machine and the Ultrix machine).  Under BSD, I
had to make a few changes to the source to be able to write at 6250, reconfig,
and make.  Under Ultrix, no source.  So I copied the BSD driver over, reconfig,
slight mods to the makefile to add the driver as a source file, and a make.
NO CHANGES TO SOURCE CODE.  If that's not compatibility, I don't know what is.
Only major difference: lack of source on the Ultrix machine.
  Fourth, bug fixes to user programs:  these are hard to do without source,
so we make the changes to the BSD machine and copy the new program to the Ultrix
machine.  Every time, the *executable* from BSD has run under Ultrix without
change.  Identical system directory structure and username/UID pairs has helped.
Major programs done in this fashion include tip, rpr (a locally written program
that uses tip to print a file on a printer, possibly on VMS, over our MICOM
dataswitch), and getty (autobaud changes).  tip and getty, especially, show
how compatible BSD 4.2 and Ultrix are; they depend rather heavily on system
internals.
  Fifth, while we are an educational institution, that has little to do with
our preference for BSD over Ultrix:  no students, not even workstudies in my
department (which is *NOT* academic; it is an administrative department) have
access to any system source, VMS nor Unix nor Ultrix nor VOS nor MCP/CANDE nor
etc., etc. (We also have a Burroughs 5920, a Harris 500, and a Harris 1000).
Our preference for BSD lies primarily in the fact that we have source for it
and can therefore modify it more easily into what we require.  DEC would never
write half the programs that we *must* have, with such a mix of equipment.
BSD and Ultrix are otherwise equal in our eyes.
--
Will Edgington		 | Phone: (303) 871-2081 (work), 722-5738 (home)
Computing Services Staff | USnail: BA 469, 2020 S. Race, Denver CO 80210

In article <1441@cornell.UUCP> george@cornell.UUCP (George R. Boyce) writes:
>In article <1554@decwrl.UUCP> aps@decwrl.UUCP (Armando P. Stettner) writes:
>>Ultrix is not really good for academic environment where students will
>>be doing thesis work on operating systems or other computer science
>>activities that involve modifying existing programs.  It is better
>>suited to places that have less experience with UNIX or for places that
>>would prefer not to maintain the staff necessary to keep up an
>>operating system.
>Ok, I give. Does someone care to support or attack this thesis?

So far I've spent quite a bit of time fixing Ultrix so that we can
use it.  This is Ultrix 1.1 on a 750, not the Micro-VAX Boyce seems
to have (?).  The first fix was to retrofit bug fixes into hp.c so
that we could use our disc drives.  This was quite a task without
source!  We got the source, and continue to incorporate bug fixes.
The DECvolken over at decuac (in lieu of other software support
people -- that's not their real job) have been very willing to help,
but overworked.

Bottom line:  from where I sit, at least, it looks like you still
need source and support staff.  This is  n o t  an opinion, it is
empirical observation.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

Even not having read the follow-ups on this, I want to make some quick
comments:

In article <997@udenva.UUCP> wedgingt@udenva.UUCP (Will Edgington/Ejeo) writes:
>                   ...  Nearly all our disks are ra81s and ra80s; they have
>been at the root of all hardware failures under BSD *or* Ultrix in the year
>I've worked here.

RA drives I've worked with: no problems at all w/RA81; a few problems
with one RA60; but in general OK.  The main problem -- this was under
the SysV machine I work with -- was verifying that my driver worked,
since two drives started off not working!  Once fixed, though, they
seem to have stayed fixed (mostly).  Admittedly, we haven't thrashed
them yet.

>                                    ...  Ultrix won't have these partly because
>we don't have source and partly because DEC has learned from 4.2's failures
>and fixed them already.

'Fraid I have to burst your bubble.  If you have Ultrix 1.0 or 1.1,
the source code compatibility to 4.2 goes as far as not including any
of the bug fixes I'd installed, anyway.

>      ...  Under Ultrix, no source.  So I copied the BSD driver over, reconfig,
>slight mods to the makefile to add the driver as a source file, and a make.
>NO CHANGES TO SOURCE CODE.  If that's not compatibility, I don't know what is.

You're lucky.  The driver I had to fix under Ultrix (hp.c) had been
modified once in 1.0, then heavily in 1.1.  To make it work (before we
bit the bullet and got source), I had to do some reverse engineering.
I even got a few things wrong: such as which printf's had been changed
to mprintf's, and of course a few variable names.  (Amazingly few: i
and cp are universal.)

For that matter, you probably did break error logging, since mprintf()
is not in 4.2BSD.

>    ...  Identical system directory structure and username/UID pairs has helped.

Yes, for the most part.  A major problem was uucp.  (Tip doesn't
suffer because it only uses the top of the uucp spool directory.)
There may have been others.

>  Fifth, while we are an educational institution, that has little to do with
>our preference for BSD over Ultrix:  no students, not even workstudies in my
>department (which is *NOT* academic; it is an administrative department) have
>access to any system source, ...

Same here.  We just felt that for some things maintenance would be
much easier with source.  Looks like we were right so far.

So with all these complaints, why did this group get Ultrix?  Well,
I'll tell you.  It is a supported product (or will be ...) by the
maker of the CPU (at least), and that is valued.  Once we get up to
equal speed with each other, things should be great.

>BSD and Ultrix are otherwise equal in our eyes.

And with 1.2, Ultrix may edge ahead.  (Ultrix has some of 4.3's speed
enhancements; I don't know what-all else.)
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}