[comp.terminals] Terminal Emulator Wanted

ralf+@cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar23.170144.23585@cbnewsc.att.com> psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) writes:
}I am looking for recommendations for PC based terminal emulators with
}the following characteristics:
}
}1)  VT-100 emulation including scrolling regions and graphics
}	character set.
}2)  A screen logging capability which will capture ALL recieved characters
}	to a disk file for later playback.

You want my RBcomm. VT102 emulation including scrolling regions, 132-column
mode, inverted video, graphics character set, and VT52 submode.  File
logging may either strip or include escape sequences.  And all I ask
for it is a postcard if you like it.

--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/3.1
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar23.170144.23585@cbnewsc.att.com> psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) writes:

 >I am looking for recommendations for PC based terminal emulators with
 >the following characteristics:

 >1)  VT-100 emulation including scrolling regions and graphics
 >       character set.
 >2)  A screen logging capability which will capture ALL recieved characters
 >       to a disk file for later playback.

That's easy!  Couldn't resist that.  Anyway, the program you want has is
MS-DOS Kermit 3.10 from Columbia University.  I would have included the
announcement here, but it is somewhere around 7 pages long and is accessible
in Comp.protocols.kermit.

Code was added just recently to send back the VT100 identification sequence-
-it has for some time sent back the VT102, VT220, and VT320 sequences--so
that systems that don't parse the identification sequnce correctly will now
recognize the terminal type.  In reality, it implements a VT320 with TEK
4014 (?) and doesn't attempt to restrict the operational characteristics
to the specified terminal type.

On systems that can support 132 column mode displays, MS-Kermit will switch
between 80 and 132 columns in one of two ways.  If it can recognize the adapter
type, it is done internally (I added support for Paradise VGA Professional,
Plus, and Plus 16 that use the 3056-xxx firmware.  Send me a message if you
find any problem with any of those.).  You can also supply a COLS80.BAT or
COLS132.BAT to execute any program to switch columns for adapters that aren't
recognized.

Commands are provided that allow you to log several different entities.
The session log will capture everything that you do in a session and can
be replayed with the replay command later.  I've used it but am not sure
how to control the replay rate except with the pause and escape keys.

Double-wide, double-high, and double-wide/double-high is crudely emulated.
At least, the relationship to the surrounding screen space is preserved.
Underlining is replaced by reverse video.

For AST's integrated VGA, I'll be adding 80/132 column support in the future.
Probably, the VERY new future!  An AST Premium 486/25 arrived on my desk
on Thursday and my 286 disappeared.  Still the Paradise chip but different
firmware.  Unfortunately, my multisynch monitor disappeared and the replacement
turned out to be fixed frequency but is supposed to support the 5F mode needed
but I haven't been able to tweak the frequency enough to get it to work.

Merton Campbell Crockett

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar24.024320.20346@wlbr.imsd.contel.com>, mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) writes:
> In article <1991Mar23.170144.23585@cbnewsc.att.com> psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) writes:
>
>  >I am looking for recommendations for PC based terminal emulators with
>  >the following characteristics:
>
> That's easy!  Couldn't resist that.  Anyway, the program you want has is
> MS-DOS Kermit 3.10 from Columbia University.  I would have included the
> announcement here, but it is somewhere around 7 pages long and is accessible
> in Comp.protocols.kermit.

Several people have pointed me at Kermit, and it did in fact do the
trick!

You may all stop sending mail now.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (03/25/91)

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) writes:
>I am looking for recommendations for PC based terminal emulators with
>the following characteristics:
>
>1)  VT-100 emulation including scrolling regions and graphics
>	character set.
>2)  A screen logging capability which will capture ALL recieved characters
>	to a disk file for later playback.

Peter, check this one out.  I use it.  It will play back captured
terminal sessions and emulate Heath-19, Honeywell VIP7809, VT52,
VT100, VT102, VT320, or Tek4010 terminals with color graphics and even
lets you capture the screen as a TIFF file while displaying a color
graphic.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74]

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.KERMIT>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
MSKER310.ZIP  B  216929  910320  MS-Kermit v3.10 comm pgm for IBM-compatibles
MSKR-EM2.ZIP  B   30433  910320  MS-Kermit v3.1 term emulation & graphics info
MSR310.PCH    A    1089  910322  Update & bug fix patches for MS-Kermit v3.10

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]