[comp.terminals] Lear Siegler ADM-3 terminal

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (03/31/91)

Hi!

I have recently aquired a Lear Siegler ADM-3 terminal.

Date of manufacture: July 1978 (printed on the CRT's backside)
Serial number: 40478.

Note that this is the ADM-3, not the 3a, and is UPPERCASE ONLY!!!

Does anyone know where I can get the ROM for the lowercase character set,
so that I can upgrade it to a 3a?

(I'm sorry if I'm a little late making this request :-)

It seems that there must be thousands of nonoperational ADM-3a's sitting
around in basements and closets around the world.  Perhaps someone can
"liberate" a lowercase ROM for me...

As I understand it, the lowercase ROM is socketted and is on the PC board
near the brightness control knob.  Upgrading the ADM-3 to the 3a involves
putting in the ROM and flipping the lowercase enable DIP switch near the
back of the PC board.  --> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. <--

Also, I was aghast to find the adm3 terminfo entry on UNIX Sys V/386 does
not handle curses well!  vi, for example, has to use open mode.  Now, I seem
to recall being able to use a screen editor on a UNIX 32V system with an
adm3a sometime in 1981, so it is/was possible, *right*?

Did we lose something from UNIX between versions 32V and V 3.2? :-)

In case you haven't figured it out by now, I was given this terminal for
free, and have been having a lot of fun getting it to work.  ... And you just
can't beat the ADM-3's classy, futuristic-looking two-tone blue fiberglass
enclosure.  Or having to use CTRL-H to backspace and CTRL-I for tab! :-)

				Jay Ts
Please use this email addr ->	uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

P.S.  This is NOT an April Fool's joke!  I'm serious!!!

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/01/91)

In article <4@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get the ROM for the lowercase character set,
>so that I can upgrade it to a 3a?

I think there is more required than just that.
I have an ADM-3a at home and also the technical manual for it,
so if I remember to look it up I could check on this.

>Also, I was aghast to find the adm3 terminfo entry on UNIX Sys V/386 does
>not handle curses well!  vi, for example, has to use open mode.  Now, I seem
>to recall being able to use a screen editor on a UNIX 32V system with an
>adm3a sometime in 1981, so it is/was possible, *right*?

I don't think the ADM-3 was able to do much more than emulate a
"glass KSR-33" except for the addition of direct cursor addressing.
Many screen-oriented text editors require features such as erase-to-
end-of-line, which the ADM-3 may not have had.

I will say that the ADM-3(a) terminals were marvels of logic circuit
design.  Every function was accomplished by hard-wired logic, not by
a microprocessor.  However, they didn't provide anywhere near the
functionality of more modern terminals.

carlson@mrx.webo.dg.com (James Carlson) (04/02/91)

I've got an ADM 3A at home cluttering up my bedroom.  You're welcome
to it ... though it would be nice for you to pay shipping  ;-}

The vertical sweep has gotten very non-linear in its old age, but it
still works ...

--
Disclaimer:  My company neither knows nor cares what I say.
.//.

jedelen@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Jeff Edelen) (04/10/91)

In article <15658@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <4@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>>Also, I was aghast to find the adm3 terminfo entry on UNIX Sys V/386 does
>>not handle curses well!  vi, for example, has to use open mode.  Now, I seem
>>to recall being able to use a screen editor on a UNIX 32V system with an
>>adm3a sometime in 1981, so it is/was possible, *right*?
>
>I don't think the ADM-3 was able to do much more than emulate a
>"glass KSR-33" except for the addition of direct cursor addressing.
>Many screen-oriented text editors require features such as erase-to-
>end-of-line, which the ADM-3 may not have had.

I think the biggest difficulty was the lack of a "reverse line feed"
sequence.  Without it, you couldn't open a line at the top of the screen
as you need to when moving up through your text (dropping the bottom
line and adding a new top line).

--Jeff