[comp.terminals] Let's Talk Keyboards!

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (04/14/91)

Don't you just hate those (e.g., some PC) keyboards with the keyclick
hardwired in with no way to turn it off.

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (04/15/91)

In article <DANJ1.91Apr14093107@cbnewse.ATT.COM> Dan_Jacobson@ihlpz.ATT.COM writes:
>Don't you just hate those (e.g., some PC) keyboards with the keyclick
>hardwired in with no way to turn it off.

Don't you just hate *anything* which doesn't allow you to turn off a
feature you don't want?

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk || ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan
If you've ever wondered how to get triangles from a cow, you need

stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (04/23/91)

In article <DANJ1.91Apr14093107@cbnewse.ATT.COM>
	Dan_Jacobson@ihlpz.ATT.COM writes:
>Don't you just hate those (e.g., some PC) keyboards with the keyclick
>hardwired in with no way to turn it off.

My fiancee's Kaypro did that, once...  We both finally got so SICK of it
that I took apart the keyboard and ripped off the tiny little clicker unit.

--
Mike Pelletier             | "Wind & waves are breakdowns in the commitment of
The University of Michigan |  getting from here to there, but they are the con-

birwin@ficc.ferranti.com (bob irwin) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.061233.11090@engin.umich.edu>, stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
> In article <DANJ1.91Apr14093107@cbnewse.ATT.COM>
> 	Dan_Jacobson@ihlpz.ATT.COM writes:
> >Don't you just hate those (e.g., some PC) keyboards with the keyclick
> >hardwired in with no way to turn it off.
>
> My fiancee's Kaypro did that, once...  We both finally got so SICK of it
> that I took apart the keyboard and ripped off the tiny little clicker unit.
> --

A little severe, since the kaypro keyclick beep is not hardwired.
Writing an 8 out I/O port 5 will silence it.  Use your favorite
language or utility.  Seem to recall that kaypros came with ASM,
DDT, basic, S-basic.

--
Bob Irwin   <birwin@ficc.ferranti.com>  Sugar Land, TX.  (713) 274-5456
If life had a vomit meter, we'd be off the scale.  - Joe Bob Briggs

svec5@menudo.uh.edu (T.C. Zhao) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.061233.11090@engin.umich.edu> stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>My fiancee's Kaypro did that, once...  We both finally got so SICK of it
>that I took apart the keyboard and ripped off the tiny little clicker unit.
What is wrong with DEC?  they seem hate both UNIX and VI. Most of
the terminals from DEC (vt2XX vt3XX vt4XX) have ESC/~` sharing the
same key.

ken@hertz.njit.edu (ken ng cccc) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.031152.19175@menudo.uh.edu> svec5@menudo.uh.edu (T.C. Zhao) writes:
:In article <1991Apr23.061233.11090@engin.umich.edu> stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
:>My fiancee's Kaypro did that, once...  We both finally got so SICK of it
:>that I took apart the keyboard and ripped off the tiny little clicker unit.
:What is wrong with DEC?  they seem hate both UNIX and VI. Most of
:the terminals from DEC (vt2XX vt3XX vt4XX) have ESC/~` sharing the
:same key.

My main peeve against present day keyboards are the ones that have <enter>
<backspace>, <del>, '\' and '|' within one key of each other.  Its obvious
that none of them use Unix!

On PS/2 style keyboards I also believe that moving the function keys to
a single row across the top is a big mistake.  At least they had the brains
to put spaces between every four keys, but its still hazardous to send a
finger flying up there and hoping it hits the delete as opposed to the
receive function key (well, that's a peeve with a certain software
program, but I think you get the idea).

At least no one is sending out the membrane or chicklet style keyboards
anymore (on real pcs at least).

Kenneth Ng
"No problem, this is how you make it" -- R. Barclay, ST: TNG

chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) (04/25/91)

ken@hertz.njit.edu (ken ng cccc) writes:

>My main peeve against present day keyboards are the ones that have <enter>
><backspace>, <del>, '\' and '|' within one key of each other.  Its obvious
>that none of them use Unix!
indeed.  i don't know how many times i need to enter a path, go for the "\"
and hit <return> instead and off arc or whatever goes, with nothing to play
with.

chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
"one thing about a police state, you can always find the police" l. neil smith
chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.