[comp.terminals] Want recommendation for graphics terminal

rwillis@lunatix.uucp (Ray Willis) (04/23/91)

We are looking for a recommendation for a graphics terminal having
either Tektronix 4014 or Regis emulation (or possibly some other
similar emulation).  We must be able to draw lines in graphics mode
and then erase a line of our choosing without affecting anything
else on the screen.  We would like to keep the price in the
one thousand dollar range, but if necessary, can go higher.  Color
would also be nice but that would depend on the price.

We bought a Wyse 99GT thinking that this would do the job, but you
can't erase a line without erasing the entire display.  I also bought
the programmers manual for the Wyse 370 and, unless someone can tell
me how, here again, it doesn't appear possible.

Please give me any recommendations you have.  Post or email to me at
...uunet!ukma!lunatix!treeres!willis

--
    Raymond Willis
    Northeast Forest Exp Station          Specializing in surface coal

phys169@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr23.130047.17120@lunatix.uucp>, rwillis@lunatix.uucp (Ray Willis) writes:
> We are looking for a recommendation for a graphics terminal having
> either Tektronix 4014 or Regis emulation (or possibly some other
> similar emulation).  We must be able to draw lines in graphics mode
> and then erase a line of our choosing without affecting anything
> else on the screen....
> We bought a Wyse 99GT thinking that this would do the job, but you
> can't erase a line without erasing the entire display.

The WY99GT can do that. Look at the "Dark Vector" (Ctrl-]) mode. This is where
the WY99GT departs from the "standard"; true Tektronics 4010/14's wouldn't be
able to undo a line, because of hardware limitations, and many emulations
interpret the dark vector as meaning "don't write anything", whereas the WY99GT
interprets it as "write nothing" (i.e. black). I know Falco's don't do this,
and I'm not sure about WY160's (I could check, if anyone's interested). Another
terminal to look at is the Data General series (e.g. the old D460, but they
probably have modern ones that will do Tektronics as well. In fact I'm pretty
sure they do, it's got a 7 in the model number somewhere). The point about the
DG terminals is their graphics system is quite sensible, rather than trying to
emulate old technology, and worth considerring. So is Regis, but you've
obviously already thought of that. Another possibility would be a PC emulating
a terminal - that's pretty good value, and you can get it to do exactly what
you want.

Hope this helps,
Mark Aitchison, Physics, University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
P.S. Those waiting for my list of ANSI sequences - sorry I haven't been able to
get around to it yet. Real soon now, though.