[comp.terminals] vt240 features. tek4014/4015 emulations. INFO NEEDED.

stever@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve E. Robinette) (06/09/91)

Hello-
	I am looking for help with a vt240.

	1:	How do i take advantage of the Function keys?
	2:	What are the capabilities of a tek4014 terminal?
		Can I at teh least, view gifs online? Is it
		possible to edit graphics files online (doubtful)
	3:	Does any one have or know where I can get a
		COMPLETE termcap. that will allow definition of
		function keys. use of aformentioned term types?
	4:      Is there a site somewhere that has VT240 docs
		on-line? (i have sifted through many FTP sites
		already.)

			Any and all help welcomed.
			Thank you in Advance

				Stever

--
stever

pha21@seq1.keele.ac.uk (Braham Levy) (06/11/91)

In article <stever.676452640@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu>, stever@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve E. Robinette) writes:
> Hello-
> 	I am looking for help with a vt240.
> 	2:	What are the capabilities of a tek4014 terminal?
> 		Can I at teh least, view gifs online? Is it
> 		possible to edit graphics files online (doubtful)

out of luck here i think. 4014 are *real* graphix terminals, you know
green lines on green screens also know as DVST. ie really a big 'scope.
what you can do with 4014 is use it to interface to almost any graphics
application. most people supply a Tek4010/14 driver with their stuff.
Capabilities are 4096x4096 'world', graphics drawn by lines ie moveto
and draw commands, three character sizes (largish, small and ******
small). any amendments to the on screen graphics require erase and
complete resend of data. coordinates are encoded in neat format suitable
for all 7 bit data lines. multiple line styles (dot dash etc), and many
more. the 4014 was once the de facto grahpics terminal and is still in
use (including emulators) today. well worth learning about.

braham

_____
j braham levy					| UDSP Lab, EE Group,
JANET:	brahamlevy@uk.ac.keele			| Physics Department,
USENET:	brahamlevy@keele.ac.uk			| University of Keele , Keele,
UUCP: ...ukc!keele.ac.uk!brahamlevy		| Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, UK.