[comp.terminals] vt220 noises

cheselka@cactus.org (Mike R. Cheselka) (06/13/91)

I just noticed a sound like static electricity coming from my vt220. I
took the hood off and found it emanating from the main ( high voltage) lead to
the CRT. It appears to do no harm, but the faint crackling sound every few
minutes is disturbing. Is this anything to worry about?

--
cheselka@cactus.org
cs.utexas!cactus.org!cheselka

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/14/91)

In article <7509@cactus.org> cheselka@cactus.org (Mike R. Cheselka) writes:
>I just noticed a sound like static electricity coming from my vt220. I
>took the hood off and found it emanating from the main ( high voltage) lead to
>the CRT. It appears to do no harm, but the faint crackling sound every few
>minutes is disturbing. Is this anything to worry about?

It seems to be corona discharge, due possibly to dust or grime around the
HV lead.  I would suggest that you not mess with it yourself -- unless you
already know enough to not have to have asked the question, you're likely
to get severaly injured or even killed if you mess with the HV lead.  Get
a competent video service technician to investigate it.